Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

i seem to have body odour whilst im working, those close by

i seem to have body odour whilst im working, those close by find this extreamly offputting ive tried drinking more water, the use of deodorants and anti perspirants but these just seem to agrevate the problemb i shower daily and change my clothes too so cant understand as to why i smell
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

I would like to help you with your question about body odor.

It would be helpful to know exactly which area the odor is coming from. Also a description of the smell might help to narrow down the possibilities.

There are several major reasons why people have a strong body odor. The first thing to consider is what foods you are eating. Smelly foods like garlic, onions, peppers, and other spices will give you a strong body odor. Try to avoid strong smelling foods, spicy foods, junk food, etc. Eating more green vegetables can sometimes be helpful.

Drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco, drinking coffee, and taking some prescription medications can create a strong body odor.

Infections can cause a strong body odor. So it is important to rule this out.

The hormones which are produced by the endocrine glands can stimulate the skin to secrete strong smells. So it may be worth visiting your doctor to rule out a physical illness.

If you have a tendency to high blood sugar levels, this can cause a strong body odor. You would need to reduce and eliminate sugar from your diet if this is the case.

Do you exercise? Regular exercise that results in heavy sweating will help to detoxify your body and reduce smells.

There are natural remedies to help with body odor. You can take one or two tablespoons of chlorophyll every day. It may also benefit you to take vitamin C, 1000mg three or four times per day.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Dr.David

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi

thanx for ur reply i mainly sweat on the back and under the arms i certainly dont eat foods as u mentioned i cut those out almost a year ago it seems that whatever food i eat on an evening i can smell it through my sweating the next morning i have cut down garlic/onions/chillies to just the basics using salt/pepper for taste also shower every morning. i used to have cereal with hot milk on a morning this used to give off a smell of sour milk since i cut that it has helped now it seems like i need to stop eating to cut out the smelling.

i cant seem to eat anything and not smell it on my sweat

Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like you may have a problem with your digestion.

If you are not properly breaking down your food, absorbing the nutrients, and eliminating the wastes then that could lead to the strong body odors that you describe.

I think it may be beneficial to take some supplements to help with your digestion. The first one that I would recommend is a digestive enzyme taken with meals. This will help to break down the food more effectively and reduce odors.

The second supplement that I would recommend is a probiotic such as acidophilus. These beneficial bacteria live in the intestines and help to digest food while preventing the growth of unhealthy organisms.

The third supplement that you may wish to try is called Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin. This one is like extra stomach acid to help break down and sanitize foods. It is taken only with meals.

These supplements can be found at any vitamin store or online. Please let me know if you would like me to recommend some specific products.

Dr.David
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you i will try the enzymes that you have recommended and greatly appreciate your helpas this matter has taken hold of my inabilty not to smell for some time
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.

Thanks for your question and I wish you the best!

Dr.David
Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.