Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I am not sure if Ihave a hernia, I think I may have a hernia.

I am not sure if Ihave a hernia, I think I may have a hernia. I have a small lump in my groin area located on my upper right thigh area by the crease where my thigh meets my abdomen. When I lie down the lump disappears but reappears when I stand back up. The skin color is a very washed out greenish blue overlaying the lump. When standing I can feel the lump and I measures about a half inch in diameter. When standing and I press on the lump it feels like something is running through the lump like a fluid material. I am not sure if this is a femoral hernia or a swollen lymph node in my groin.

Also do swollen groin lymph nodes dissapear when you lie down ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. This may be a hernia as you suspect; however, it too may be a swollen lymph node or a hematoma. A hematoma is roughly a blood filled pocket. Based on your description I would suspect hernia vs. hematoma. This should be evaluated by your provider. It should easily be identifiable during an office visit, based on presentation. Although this may not be too bothersome, I would encourage evaluation, since hernias can actually cause some complications, particularly if blood flow is compromised. Also, certain issues, such as femoral artery aneurysm should be ruled out. This is the least likely; however, this reinforces the need for evaluation. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your response.
I have recently started a weight lifting program and last week I was moving some buckets of cement around which weighed about 90 lbs each.

Also I didn't know that a swollen lymph would disappear when you lie down, thanks. What does the feeling of fluid running through the lump when I press on it mean ?
I really don't think it is a swollen lymph node. I really think this is likely a hernia with some possible bleeding in the surrounding tissue. We aren't suppose to diagnose, given the obvious limits of the internet. However, based on your description, including the fact that it reduces when supine, I would be HIGHLY suspicious of a hernia and some bleeding in the area. If there is bleeding in the area, it could cause this feeling of fluid. This may actually be related to your weight lifting program. I would defer further weight lifting till you have the area evaluated. Continued weight lifting may cause this to worsen. I hope that helps. Again, any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa