Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

GAINED SO MUCH WEIGHT NOW I AM BACK TO THIN WHER I WANT

Customer Question

HI, I HAVE ANXIETYDEPRESSION AND HAVE BEEN SEEING THE NEWEST DR FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS AND NO BETTER. I TAKE 50 MG ZOLOFT AND ATIVAN 3MG FOR SLEEPING AND CRY ALL THE TIME AND HAVE FOUNF MY BED AND LYING DOWN MY SAFE PLACE, BUT NOT TO FUNCTIONAL. I HAVE TAKEN EVERY ANTI DEPRESSANT ON THE MARKET AND PAXIL BEING THE FIRST FOR AGOROPHOBIA AND GAINED SO MUCH WEIGHT NOW I AM BACK TO THIN WHER I WANT TO STAY BUT CAN;T STOP THE SADNESS I WISH YOU COULD RECOMMEND A DRUG FOR ME THAT MIGHT WORK I AM VERY SENSITVE AND MY FEELINGS GET HURT FAR TO EASILY I KNOW, BUT WITH THE RIGHT HELP I THINK I CAN GET BETTER. PLEASE HELP ME THANK YOU DIANE [email protected]
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are experiencing these problems. Have you yet tried any of the breathing exercises or other techniques to help with your anxiety? Do you live alone?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO YOU HAVE NOT BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE DON;T CHARGE MY CARD AND SEND ME NOTIFICATION THAT U HAVE NOT CHARGED IT THANK YOU ANYWAY
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
I will refer you to another expert. I hope you feel getter very soon.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK-YOU FOR REFERRING ME TO SOMEONE DIFFERENT AWAITING ANSWER
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
you are very welcome:-)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WHAT OTHER INFO DO YOU NEED NO I AM A MOTHER WIFE OF TWO CHILDREN 16 AND 21 IN COLLEGE AT BOSTON UNIVERSITY LAST YEAR
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Your deposit will remain with Just Answer until you accept an answer.

It sounds like you are going through a very bad time. How long have you been taking the 50 mg Zoloft plus 3 mg Ativan?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
FOR 5 YEARS TRIED GOING OFF IT BUT AFTER 3 MONTHS DEPRESSION SYMPTONS GET WORSE SO IT MUST BE DOING SOMETHING BUT NOT ENOUGH

You have likely hit the nail on the head! When starting Zoloft we generally begin at 50 mg and titrate upwards over several weeks until someone feels better. If you have been on just this baby dose for 5 years, I'm not at all surprised it isn't working completely for you. Your prescriber needs to increase the dose to a higher level so that it actually controls your symptoms.

When you have an anxiety and depression disorder, there is no reason to stop taking your medications unless you are having horrible side effects not related to your depression. Many people will take medication for the rest of their lives.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YES BUT AT TIMES I HAVE TAKEN MORE BUT HAVE BEEN AFRAID IT INCREASES THE APPETITE AND SO STARTS THE WEIGHT GAIN SO I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN ISN'T THERE A NEW DRUG TO TRY THAT U CAN SUGGEST WITH NO WEIGHT GAIN ATTACHED? ALSO TAKE AMBIEN FOR SLEEP BUT MAYBE SOMETHINGE;SEAND IS THE ZOLOFT BRINGING ON THE FACT I CAN'T GO TO SLEEP OH HELP
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Hello valzy,

I wonder, have you ever tried Prozac (Fluoxetine). This is a SSRI antidepressant which belongs to the same class as that of Zoloft,Paxil etc but has a side effects of causing lack of appetite in patients. Also weight gain is unusual with this drug.

It could be useful in your case, if you are very much concerned with weight gain and you can discuss with your treating doctor about this option.

Please note that this drug should be taken in morning or afternoon not in night as this drug is stimulating and may cause difficulty in sleeping if taken in night.

Regards

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A long time ago I tried prozac for just a week and it mde me feel extremeley maniacy I don;t know why it scared me and yers later I wonder if it would have the sme effect? The zoloft at 50 mg I just don't think helps me get through the tough days and my sleeping is so messed up sometimes I take 3mg of ativan and an ambien what can I do to sleep better I sleep I just can't relax to go to sleep. Is lithium a suggestion from my dr something u think would help ?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your reply DIANE.

With antidepressant treatment, the first symptoms to improve are often poor sleep and appetite. Other symptoms such as anxiety, depressive symptoms,and couple of others are the next one to improve.

It appears to me that you are very much sensitive to the side effects of drugs and every drug has some of its side effect. I wonder, have you ever been given the option of psychotherapy such as Cognitive Behavior Therapy which has shown very good result in cases of anxiety and depression and we specially recommend it to those patients who are not able to tolerate medicine very well.

To find out more, please click the link below

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

You may try Prozac in combination with Antianxiety drugs such as Klonopin / Xanax. Antianxiety drug will initially control the anxiety symptoms because of antidepressant and once your condition is stable, it will be tapered off and you can continue with Prozac.

Lithium as such is not useful for treatment of depression alone in my view. It is also associated with lot of weight gain.

You can discuss with your treating doctor about the various options I have mentioned above.

Regards

Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics