Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

My wrists and hands hurt all the time now. They wake me up

My wrists and hands hurt all the time now. They wake me up at night, they hurt when I drive. I just started reading Ulysses and the book is starting to feel literally too heavy for me.

This is very frustrating. I've had instances in the past couple of years where my hands/wrists fall asleep but never this consistently. It has been consistent I would say for the past month or so.

Whats going on? Is this Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? I've had people scare me and mention RLS. I don't even know what that is.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question and for choosing JustAnswer.

Your symptoms sound very much like a Carpal Tunnel Syndrom which happens when a nerve traveling through the wrist gets trapped. When its trapped, you have your symptoms. When the pressure of it is lifted, symptoms go away.

To accurately diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome you need to have a test done called EMG. That will determine nerve function.

If, in fact, you are diagnosed with carpal tunnel, you have 3 options. 1st: Wear wrist spints to keep your wrist from bending and locking up the nerve; 2nd: getting steroid injection to relieve some of the swelling and pressure; 3rd: having surgery done. I would recommend seeing a hand specialist.

RLS stands for "restless leg syndrome" which is an urge to move your legs all the time, having a crawling sensation in your legs, and/or jerking your legs at night, while sleeping. You don't have RLS.

Please let me know if I can assist you any further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I failed to mention my weight-gain. In the last year or so I've gained over 30 lbs. Is that also affecting the problem with me wrists. I only ask because I have small hands and wrists. Its just my anatomy. I don't feel like they've gotten bigger but I wonder if my weight gain has caused poor circulation so therefore, pain.

That is an interesting point you bring up.

Your weight gain is most likely not affecting your symptoms, however, if you haven't had your thyroid checked, you need to.

Sometimes, if you have low functioning thyroid (hypothyroidism) it can cause weight gain, this numbness/tingling sensation you have in your hands among other things.

Your primary care doctor can check your thyroid (blood test). If its normal, then get an EMG to look for carpal tunnel.