CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have a sharp pain in my upper right thigh. It comes and goes

Customer Question

I have a sharp pain in my upper right thigh. It comes and goes and has happened about 5-10 times in the last 2 weeks. The pain will shoot from my upper thigh to my vagina. It comes all of a sudden and startles me. I'm hoping it's not a blood clot, it doesn't fell like a fluttering feeling, only sharp brisk pain, very painfull. I have recently skipped my sugar pills with my birth control to prevent a period for the first time because I was on holiday. I have also recently travelled by plane for long flights as well. Do you have an idea what it may be?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are experiencing this pain. This type of pain may be due to a pinched nerve in your lower back which can cause pain to radiate to the thigh. You can try applying ice packs ( to your lower back) and taking ibuprofen ( if not contraindicated). If this continues to bother you you should visit with your Physician for a diagnosis and treatment. I hope this information helps you, if so, please click accept. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That's strange, any other ideas of what it could be? Would I have back pain also if I had a pinched nerve because I don't have any back pain. Thank you for your answer.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
it is possible to have a pinched nerve, or a slipped disk or herniated disk and only experience referred pain.