CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have red soles of both feet. Went to a dermatologist and

I have red soles of both feet. Went to a dermatologist and was told it is called "erythromalalgia." Have been using his prescribed "Epiceram" cream twice daily for four weeks and nothing seems to have improved. Help!
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are experiencing this discomfort Erythromelalgia, also known as Mitchell's disease, is a peripheral nerve disorder in which blood vessels in the legs, feet or hands are blocked and inflamed.

The symptoms are episodes of redness, swelling and a painful burning.These symptoms are usually symmetric and affect the lower extremities more frequently than the upper extremities. Common triggers for these episodes are exertion, heating of the affected extremities, sugar, alcohol or caffeine, and any pressure applied to the area. Improvement (although only partial in many cases) with various medications including gabapentin, lidocaine patches, venlafaxine, clonidine, tricyclic antidepressants, calcium channel antagonists, oral magnesium, sympathetic blocks, and bilateral thalamic stimulation have also all been reported.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What do you recommend for future assistance?

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
ALl of those things I listed above have been shown to work for some people. It would serve you well to avoid shoes as much as possible and to use only cotton ( breathable) socks. I have known lidocaine patches to be effective.. they are applied directly to the pianful area and provide pain relief by blocking signals sent to nerve endings in the skin.( your Dr will have to provide a prescription for these) I do hope this helps you.