Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

I have a phantom smell that is recurring. It smells like

Customer Question

I have a "phantom" smell that is recurring. It smells like some sort of gas or something burning, like hair or wires or something. I have looked everywhere and can't find a source. We have all electric, wood burning stove (not yet in use this year) and a kerosene heater that is not filled or in use for over 2 years. I have Lyme disease, could this be a symptom? It comes and goes its very odd.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 7 years ago.

Phantom smell has been listed as one of the symptoms of lyme disease - though rare .

You could refer to the following link -

Let me know if you need any other information.

Please click ACCEPT so that i get paid for my work. A bonus would be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had already mentioned that I knew it could be from Lyme biotoxins, i was looking for other opinions, as noted. You can classify any symptom under lyme, it is undoubtedly is not from Lyme directly.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello jshana,

In Epilepsy specially Temporal lobe epilepsy and Migraine (very rare) patient do report of similar symptom as that of yours. They report of smell resembling that of a burning tire, or ammonia like, kerosene like smell.

If it occurs for brief duration, is independent of the setting, place, and environment, is noted by you only, you should consult with your treating doctor about it to rule out Temporal lobe epilepsy.

Please note that it is just a possibility I am mentioning, I am not saying that your symptom is because of epilepsy.

You can find some more information in the webpage given below. You may need to register yourself in this website.

Should a Patient With an Olfactory Aura and Epileptogenic EEG But No Clinical Seizures Receive Antiepileptic Drugs?

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics