Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I have a burning sensation on my left index finger only. The

I have a burning sensation on my left index finger only. The burning is on the thumb-side of the finger about where the fingernail is. It gradually gets hot but is never really painful. It last for as little as 10 seconds and as long as several minutes. Any ideas?
HelloCustomer

Thank you for writing to JustAnswer Health with your question.

There are a few possibilities of what this may be. I'd like to know first though whether you have any health problems or take any medications and if so can you tell me what they are.

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have high blood pressure and have been on lisinopril and bisoprolol (not sure of the spelling, sorry.) I can't remember the dosage I'm on - 10mg ea. I think. I've been on this medication since summer of 2006.
Thank you for the additional information.

1) It is possible to have a nerve entrapment that effects this area, but I believe this more likely would effect more of the finger and the thumb too. There are test that can be done by your doctor or an orthopedic or neurologist to determine if this is an issue.

2) There is a disorder called neuropathy. It can result from a few different conditions or combination of these conditions. I'll explain this. With uncontrolled blood pressure the pressure can damage the cappillaries that deliver blood with it's oxygen and nutrients to the nerves. When this occurs there can be pain, burning, itching, tingling. When numbness is constant, this can mean that the problem has progressed to the point of the nerve dying. Other causes of neuropathy are diabetes and high cholesterol, and increased clotting factors. All of these diseases can destroy the cappillaries over time. To prevent this from worsening or spreading to other areas it is important to keep the blood pressure as controlled as possible, as well as the cholesterol and blood sugar. For most people, especially if they have all of these factors, life style changes will be needed such as increased exercise, changing nutritional patterns, and decreasing stress.

Since this is the only area you have and you are on the younger side, you have the opportunity to prevent this from becoming more severe.

It is recommended that you see your doctor to determine whether this is more likely nerve damage from entrapement (usually in the wrist - similar to carpal tunnel) or neuropathy. If neuropathy, then of couse looking at your lab work and BP will be important. You may want to get a blood pressure cuff, if you do not have one, and monitor your blood pressure through out the day to see if there are any times when it is elevated, and report this to your doctor so that either the administration times or the medications themselves can be changed.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions or comments, please reply.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 10/21/2009 at 8:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much. I never made the connection between my BP and this. My meds seem to keep it under control when I take them every day. However, I have not been consistent of late. I will get lab work scheduled soon. Thank you again.
Thank you so much, yes it is more important to keep it in the low range than most people realize. Good luck