A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have acid refulx, take nexium everyday twice a day, once

I have acid refulx, take nexium everyday twice a day, once upon a time I was taking 4 times a day. I recently had gallblader removed and since then my acid reflux has been worse than ever. I have had 3 endi. scopes with inflamation only, however I am concerned. I am thinking that I need to take an aggressive approach & erhaps go to a teaching hospital in NY. & perhaps the top in this field. My uncle passed away from this about 5 years ago. Do you think this is wise, perhaps I am not going to the right kind of doctor? I see a ear, nose & throat doctor. Can you reccommend a hospital as well as doctor? Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. A teaching hospital is a great idea, but I would switch to a gastroenterologist for your reflux. Any teaching hospital in any state would be fine. There you will find the latest in treatment, including an interdisciplinary approach. In addition to Nexium, you can also try another over-the-counter medication called Gaviscon that contains alginatec which coats the esophagus and really helps with the pain from acid reflux.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you familar with the teaching hospitals in NY & can you reccommend one as well as a doctor? Is a gastroenterologist digestive disorder doctor?

Yes, a gastroenterologist treats all of the digestive system from one end to the other. He or she would be the real expert in reflux. In New York, I would go to Mount Sinai or New York Presbyterian. We don't recommend specific doctors, but you will find a number of them at both medical centers.