Karen RN, BSN
Karen RN, BSN, Nurse
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in Med Surg nursing, Oncology, Neurology, Home health and Hospice

Why does my right leg ache. The pain radiates from the upper

Why does my right leg ache. The pain radiates from the upper thigh area to the back of my hip sometimes travels down my leg just above my ankle below my knee. It hurts even at rest and I am sometimes awakened at night from the pain. I sometimes bend my knees and tuck a pillow beneath them for some releif. I have not injured myself, this pain has been gradually progressive within the last 10 months. Im a 49 year-old female I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis about 5 months ago, I am post menopausal and suffer from hot flashes and I refuse to take synthetic

Read more:
Category: Health
Expert:  Karen RN, BSN replied 7 years ago.

Hi Orlando, The type of pain you are describing sounds like you have a lumbar area nerve pinched. This could be caused by the osteoporosis you have been diagnose

with, or it could be from some seemingly minor injury or twisting of you back; or a naturally occuring degenerative process. If the pain does not subside after taking an over the counter anti-inflamatory medication like Motron (the full recommended dose daily) or Aleve you should see a Nurse Practioner or MD to have a X-ray and possibly MRI examination. You should have Ph. Therapy if it continues. Also for now alternate cold and hot packs. Cold packs first 20 min (this numbs the pain) then heating pad 20 minutes (this relaxes the muscle spasm..Be sure to not sleep on the heating pad all night.

If my answer has helped you please click on the Green ACCEPT button or the money will just go to JUST ANSWER. I would like feedback. Karen