Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

my sleepy during the day so I reduced it to one pill at night

Lisa, a responded on Wednesday on my Blackberry, as I was traveling until this afternoon (Friday). I'm not sure if you received my response, but I'll give it another try. I was put on the anxiety medication about a week ago (3 pills a day), but they made my sleepy during the day so I reduced it to one pill at night. Did not really see any particular difference as far as symptoms. Have not considered seeing a therapist for anxiety, as I don't necessarily feel anxious, but the doctor said it can still be possible. I don't have any special stress, actually I am now semi-retired and work from home, so should be less stressful as far as work goes. But even so, there still appears to be a strong connection with eating/food, regarding the symptoms. What is still hard to explain is the symptoms are either mild or not a problem when I'm busy enjoying myself. Crazy.
Hello;

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I was about to go offline. I will be away for awhile this evening. I will opt out of the question. This will allow other experts access to the question, and they will be able to assist you. They will have access to your previous posting, so don't worry about having to resubmit all the information. Have a good evening. Lisa
Hello Terry,

Since the other expert has opted out from this question I will try to answer your question if it is OK with you.

I have gone through your previous questions and the replies.

You have mentioned that you have been prescribed Alprazolam .25 mg three times a day but you reduced it to 1 tab at night, which is a very low dose in my view, so it could be a reason why you felt no improvement if we assume that your symptoms are because of anxiety disorder.

If it is possible for you, I would recommend you to go through the webpages link given below.

Anxiety & Phobias

I would also like to know that do you have any significant medical / surgical history specially related to gastrointestinal tract such as Irritable Bowl syndrome etc?

Kindly also go through the link given below and let me know about your thoughts.-

Rapid Gastric Emptying

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Regards
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Dr. Vikas,

I will sometimes need to empty out shortly after eating, usually it's after breakfast or dinner. In regard to IBS, I don't believe that's an issue and rarely geyt constipated or diarrehea. Have not had any surgery other than having my tonsils out at age 5. The anxiety may be a possible issue, but what about the other symptoms connected with food and eating? I will also often begin a rapid heartbeat or heavier breathing maybe about an hour or two after eating breakfast or lunch. Sometimes even drinking a glass of water this symptom will occur. Can all of this be related to anxiety? I don't particlurly feel anxious, but can get somewhat stressed watching the news/politics on TV, my favorite sports team losing, or a domestic argument (which hasn't occurred in months). My mother who passed away 10 years ago, did have anxiety and was on medication. She hated to be idle and was always on the go or visiting with friends, etc.

Hello Terry,

Thanks for your reply. If you have gone through the link I provided above, some of your symptoms related to food could be explained by this phenomena of rapid gastric emptying, but they are characteristically seen in Zollinger Ellison syndrome, IBS and cases of gastric surgery. Still in my view, you should consult a Gastroenterologist you already haven't for this purpose in order to discuss about it.

Rapid Gastric Emptying

Diagnosis of psychiatric disorder such as anxiety disorder is made by exclusion that is once all the medical disease has been excluded. Yes, anxiety can manifest itself in several ways and some of your symptoms could be explained by anxiety disorder also.

For treatment of anxiety disorders, the drug of choice are antidepressants and drugs such as Alprazolam / Lorazepam / Clonazepam all of which belongs to Benzodiazepine category are used for short term basis.

In my view, what you can do it that you take the Alprazolam prescribed by you doctor in recommended doses. To avoid sedation in the morning, take the larger portion of that drug at night and see the results [Please inform your treating doctor and take his permission before doing it ]. If your symptoms are because of anxiety disorder, you will notice an improvement shortly and can further continue the treatment.

In the mean while you also consult a Gastroenterologist for your symptoms.

If you have any other query, please feel free to ask.

Regards
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Vikas, I will pursue your advice.
You are most welcome Terry. Thanks for coming to JA.

I wish you a very early and speedy recovery.

Best wishes