Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

Both of my upper arms started aching out of the blue. I havent

Both of my upper arms started aching out of the blue. I haven't done anything new physically.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Does your neck also hurt?

Forearms? Into the hands?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, my neck does not hurt. But the ache seems to also be in my shoulders (mostly the right one). Forearms and hands do not ache. Thx.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Does the upper arm also ache to near the elbow, but not past the elbow?

Do you have worsening or weakness raising your arm above the head?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The ache is above the elbow and it seems fine when I raise it above my head.

BTW, I am net on any medication, I only take vitamins.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

The fact that both of these arms starting aching at the same time seems to be more than coincidence, and one place in the body that can affect both of these areas at the same time would be in the neck.

Specifically -- irritation of the C5 nerve in the neck can cause pain/aching / numbness that appears to be over the shoulder into the upper arm, but not past the elbow.

The fact you can move your arm around the shoulder -- and the fact that this happened out of the blue to both arms seems to make specific shoulder tendonitis / etc unlikely.

Of course, without a physical exam by your doctor it is impossible to know, so should these pains not get better over a couple of weeks -- seeing a doctor is best. Certainly if they should worsen, be involved with chest pains or trouble breathing -- seeing a doctor right away is best.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr. Mark,

One more quick question. This ache by chance couldn't be related to anxiety or IBS? Those are the only two issues I have.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Probably not -- as those issues aren't related to upper arm muscle aching.

Of course, we really have no idea what is going on (remember I'm just a voice here on the Internet) so certainly following up with your doctor should this not improve is important!

Best of luck.