Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

Hi I am 39 years old and I have just missed a period. My husband

Hi I am 39 years old and I have just missed a period. My husband had a vasectomy in 1996 so I know I'm not pregnant. I had a discharge the week before my period was due which I thought was thrush. Had the usual symptons and used a Canesten pessary and cream to treat it. The discharge has eased but I am still red and occasionally itchy. The itch has extended to my anus. I have had some stomach cramps which made think my period was imminent, but a week later it still hasn't arrived.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

dear hils,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

Did you consult a doctor yet or had any investigation?

any associated fever, foul smell or vaginal discharge?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, haven't visited Doctor yet. Have felt warm on occasions but didn't associate it with thrush symptons. Discharge didn't appear strong smelling. The soreness and itching was more an issue.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear hils,

Thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of such absent or delayed periods associated with itching.The common ones are genital infection caused by bacterial or fungal cause, cervical cancer, pcos, hormonal imbalance, psychological factors, etc.

The bacterial infection may be associated with such symptoms and should be ruled out first.the antibiotics drugs like ciprofloxacin, azithromycin, metronidazole may be needed and the antifungals are of no use.

You should have the relevant investigations done like pap smear, blood counts, sonography abdomen, etc. after consulting your doctor to know the associated abnormality.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!