Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

3-year-old has a fever of 101-102, no energy what this can be?

My 3-year-old has a fever of 101-102, very tired, no energy, achy and right before bed complained of neck pain. could this be swine flu? meningitis? should we go to ER?

Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hi there

Symptoms of Swine Flu include high fever, malaise, chills, body aches, dry cough, stuffy nose, and sometimes nausea and vomiting.

With that being said, Meningitis symptoms include severe headache with vomiting, high fever, sleepiness/difficulty arousing the patient, inability to maintain eye contact, stiff neck, and seizures.

Given the epidemic of influenza right now, I would bet more likely she has something viral like influenza.

However, if her fever does not improve with Motrin or Tylenol or worsens, she will need to be checked out by either the ER or her Pediatrician. If nothing else, if flu is diagnosed, they can give her something like Tamiflu to help decrease the symptoms and severity of the illness.

Hope this helps!

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i forgot to add that she also has diarrhea. She doesn't have a cough or anything like that. i'm worried about the neck pain b/c it is a symptom of meningitis and not flu, right? also she was so tired and lethargic tonight which is so unlike her. i know of a boy in my area who died overnight from spinal meningitis just last year, so that makes me very cautious.

Hi there

Yes, I completely understand your concerns.

Neck stiffness and pain are components of Meningitis, yes. Also, patients complain of neck pain and stiffness with many viral illnesses also...even flu.

Since she is lethargic and you know of someone in the area who has had Menigitis, I think your concerns are warranted to have her seen in the ER. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the meningitis was a year ago - would that still be a concern? does the diarrhea lead us in one direction or another?

Menigitis, believe it or not, is always around. There are reports of Menigitis in most Emergency Departments and County Health Departments weekly...this is something that is never gone.

However, the diarrhea and given the fact that so much influenza is going around, it could possibly be more of the viral causes (such as influenza). But you know your daughter and how she is acting....if you would feel more comfortable taking her on to the ER, then that is what you should do. Like I said, if nothing else, to get the diagnosis of Flu and get her some medications on board.