Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I sometimes get so hungry I vomit. My stomach is empty, so

Customer Question

I sometimes get so hungry I vomit. My stomach is empty, so I am throwing up what seems to be concentrated stomach acid and mucus, with dry heaves added in. Sometimes, if I feel it coming on, I can eat to stop it. Beef jerky sometimes helps, and sometimes a full sleeve of Saltines. Other times, eating doesn't help at all, and I can't even keep down the water I drink to rinse out my mouth and throat.
This often is paired with severe diarrhea that is almost like urinating from the wrong orifice. These disgusting symptoms have interfered with work, because they can last for days, and seem to cause each other.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
A likely cause for your symptoms is increased acid production or GERD. I would suggest trying Zantac 150 mg tablet twice daily to see if the symptoms improve. Also eat frequent small meals instead of few large meals. H. Pylori infection is also possible, and you should see your doctor to get tested for it. If symptoms do not improve, an endoscopy may also be needed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know what GERD is. I've used acid reducers before. These seem to be unrelated to my doctors,also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've been trying to lose weight, so I don't eat when I'm not hungry. Yesterday, I ate three meals, but right after dinner my stomach was about in open rebellion, gurgling, burping and just blah. I went to bed and woke up feeling blah, then I started throwing up.
I've had lots of crackers and a little applesauce today. Now I can't decide if I'm hungry or just nauseous.
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for the reply

How are you feeling today?

Sounds like you had a stomach virus if this is the first time this has occured.

Make sure you are eating atleast 1200 calories per day and that you are not skipping meals. This will make you nauseated if you skip meals even if you do not feel hungry. Also eating 5-6 small meals per day will help keep your metabolism up and will not allow your blood sugar to fall and cause nausea.

Since you are dieting, most likely you are hungry.

Let me know how you are feeling today.

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This has happened many times. I have been stuck in rush hour traffic a few times, and sometimes out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to eat (once after a fast for a blood test)
When I get this way, I can't keep anything down. If I eat, it comes back up, if I don't eat, I still throw up. My stomach will be growling and almost hurts, but whatever goes in comes out. Pepto just turns it pink. I just threw up now and saw a lump of pink--I take the pills, not the liquid. Sometimes I eat and feel OK for a few hours, and everything comes up identifiable.
I expect in a day or two to have severe diarrhea, which If I treat with Immodium will turn to constipation, and that quickly yo-yos back to diarrhea.

Thanks for the added info

Have you been checked for H. Pylori yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would that be a chronic disorder? This has been happening off and on for over 4 years now.

Yes, it would. H. Pylori is a bacteria that invades and lives in the gut. It can cause symptoms that you have described.

You will need either a blood test for it or breath test to determine if this is what is going on.

If so, you will need a combination of stomach protectors, antibiotics, and something like a proton pump inhibitor (Prilosec, Protonix, etc).

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.