Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

what does it mean if i have a grey coating and bumps on my

what does it mean if i have a grey coating and bumps on my tongue?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

Is your tongue sore?
Do you take any medications?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My tongue is not sore i had unprotected oral sex and I smoke. My tongue has a greycoating.There are bumps on the back of my tongue and the tip of my tongue is a little red and has a bump on the end. the tip feels like a burnt my tongue
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

The grey coating may be due to a fungal infection called candida (oral thrush). You need to see your doctor who will put you on a liquid antifungal medication if this is what is going on.

Smoking can also cause discoloration of the tongue.

The bumps on the tongue could be a irritated or prominent taste buds. If they are at the very back of the tongue, they are likely the circumvallate papillae, which are normally pink and prominent.

The tip of the tongue that is sore and has a bump may be due to a fungal infection or an aphthous ulcer, which is a canker sore.

Without seeing it, it is difficult to diagnose so your doctor needs to take a look.

I am sure you are concerned since you recently had unprotected oral sex.
Oral herpes can cause painful ulcers/sores in the mouth.
HIV can cause painful sores in the mouth as well (initial infection) but a fever is usually present as well. Grey coating is not typical.

Dr Abby