Dr  Anna N.M.D.
Dr Anna N.M.D., Doctor
Experience:  18 years medical family practice. expert in family medicine and also integrative modalities.
11195241

How to bring down high creatine levels

How to bring down high creatine levels?
Dear justtoldme2009:
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your health concern. Might you be referring to creatinine? Creatine is an over the counter substance that body builders use to increase lean muscle mass and there is some controversy over possible dangerous side effects from this supplement.
Creatinine is produced from creatine, so if you are taking creatine that could be a reason for the high creatinine level in your blood or urine.
Creatinine is also produced by the muscles of the body from metabolism (creating energy).
Creatinine may be measure in either the urine or blood.
Which of these two types of tests are you referring to?
May we also have your age, and if you have a history of any medical problems?
Thank you.
DrARN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr. Anna: I am making this request for my Daughter (51) who was found unconcious on the floor of her kitchen for 3 days.... she was rushed to the Hospital (in Phoenix, Az.) and they discovered that she has a high level of creatine.... over 16,000! As of 1:00 pm today they have not found out what the problem is. The are giving her something for pain as you can imagine her Kidney failure is very painfull. So while I am waitinf to hear from her I am just looking for a possable answer to lowering her creatine level even though we do not know wht cased it to elivate! She is not on drugs! They have ruled out any medication she is taking and her diet does not seem to be responsable. In the past 20 years she has been, but is not now a hevy drinker - I don't think. She never was an alcholic but she was a BIG drinker.
being unconscious for three days is very serious and I hope they are aggressively performing a lot of tests.
I am assuming you then mean creatinine and that this was found upon testing of her blood.
Does she have a past history of medical problems?
Heavy drinker is more likely to affect the liver, not the kidney.
It is obvious, as you say, she has kidney failure. Has she ever had kidney problems before? I do have a glimmer of hope for you, in that if this came on 'all of a sudden' the prognosis is better for a cure than if it has been happening over a long period of time.
There are many causes of kidney failure, infection, poisoning, drug toxicity, heavy metal ingestion, etc. It cannot be determined by just examining her what caused her kidneys to fail. Many tests have to be run and further questions must be asked of her. In the meantime, please be assured that she is safe because they are dialysis machines in the hospital that can filture blood for her as her kidney normally would. Please know she is no longer in imminent danger because of the availability of the dialysis machine but please be patient for them to find the cause of the kidney failure, because it can take some time, as it can be caused by so many things. In the meantime, you can ask her if she has taken or eaten anything unusual or suspicious and specifically ask her what she has eaten in the past weeks, the brand names, what medication if any she has taken in the past week and write it down for the doctors and ask her if she has been sick recently.
Best Wishes. I appreciate this is a very frightening experience.
Sincerely, DrARN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr. Arn: One thing my daughter wanted me to ask you is - How long can she go with a level of Creatine over 16,000? - before they do a dialysis - and how often will they have to do a dialysis if they even have to keep doing it? And oh yes, I am very satisfied with your information and will accept this communication. Thanks again. Don Levinson
Daar Mr. Levison:
Not being a nephrologist, I do nkot wish to step on their turf; however I always thought any value of creatinine 10mg/dl needs immediately intervention. I imagine they are checking the BUN and creatinine in her urine as well to see what the level of working function of kidney is to get a better idea of how to determine the rate, etc of dialysis (what to set the machine dails on). To be completely honest, I have never heard or seen a blood creatinine value as high as 16,000. You guys are in the U.S. right? Sometimes the units used in other countries are different. I would just continue to be vigilant and watch that her creatinine level goes down. Are you concerned that they are doing the right thing in the hospital? I would tend to trust that they are, I have never been an intern at a hospital where a patient with such a serious problem was mishandled or treatment withheld. I suggest politely but stearnly requesting to speak to her doctor to address these concerns. Sometimes it talks a bit of polite aggressive action to get their attention, but hopefully with some of the information I've given you, you will be able to communicate your concerns with him or her. It's difficult for me not being right there and hands on to make the treatment call. But I am confident they are doing the right thing based on all the information they about about her. Please do not hesitate to write back with any other concerns or questions.
DrARN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You charged me twice -- please -- refund the second charge.