Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

I have had a throbbing pain deep in my left arm (between shoulder

I have had a throbbing pain deep in my left arm (between shoulder and elbow) for about a week. It is a constant ache, that nothing seems to relieve. Is it possible that this is a blood clot?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Do you have neck pain as well?

Does this pain go into the forearm, or also involve the fingers of the hand?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a dull ache, not bad in my neck. It does not go down to the fingers.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Did the dull ache in the neck seem to also start the same time as the pain in the upper arm?

Do you have any weakness or worsening of pain if you move your arm over your shoulder (like throwing a ball)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don;t really know about the neck pain, have a high pain tolerance and I haven't really paid much attention.

No it does not worsen when arm is raised.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

The fact you can move your arm around the shoulder without weakness or worsening of pain makes issues with the actual shoulder a bit less likely, such as rotator cuff tendonitis, biceps tendonitis, etc.

The fact that you also have a neck dull ache -- along with pain that involves the upper arm, but does not go past the elbow, makes this a possibility of a specific nerve in the neck being irritated, specifically the C5 nerve, which could be irritated from something like a C4-5 bulging disc in the neck.

This would be called cervical radiculopathy:

and certainly a possibility here. Certainly having this examined by your doctor, should it not improve would be best.

Clots in the upper extremity are relatively rare, though certainly if your arm and forearm are much more swollen than your other arm, it would be something for your doctor to investigate.