Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

I noticed a pea size lump in my throat about 2 months ago or

I noticed a pea size lump in my throat about 2 months ago or so i went to the doctors today she said it was my lumph nodes but it was hard she took blood and she wants an ultrasound next week im scarred she really didnt tell me anything could it be lumphphona i dont have any cancer symptoms no loss of appitite or night sweats or fever i do have a lot of headaches but ive always had those i need a honnest answer do you think it could be cancer?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

I would like to help you with your question about a pea-sized lump in your throat.

It sounds like a typical enlarged lymph node. These are usually the result of a viral infection and often shrink back to normal after a time.

If you are not having any of those other symptoms such as night sweats or severe weight loss, the likelihood of lymphoma is extremely small.

Truthfully, I do not think that you have lymphoma. The ultrasound is most likely meant to rule out more common possibilities such as a thyroid nodule or cyst.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Edited by Dr. David on 10/3/2009 at 6:12 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes my doctor said sometimes peoples lymph nodes are hard and can be more easily felt than others but i dont really know how long the hardness has been there it could have been longer i just didnt notice it but why would it feel so hard if its not cancer
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX nodes, there is a subtle difference between what can be considered "hard" and what is better described as "firm".

Firm lymph nodes are common. They swell up like tiny balloons and become quite palpable.

Hard lymph nodes are relatively uncommon. They are actually hard as a rock when you touch them. For someone with lymphoma, by the time they have noticed their lymph nodes have become rock hard there is usually some other severe symptom present.

If your doctor was concerned that you had a lymphoma, you would be getting a biopsy and not an ultrasound.

Again, it could be something else like a cyst which also feels solid and hard.

Edited by Dr. David on 10/3/2009 at 6:24 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok but she said it was very hard but your saying dont worry and my neck has been stiff lately and i had a lot of headaches.I actually gained 3 pounds so you dont think i have lymphoma but could it be possible
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

Stiff neck and headaches are not symptoms of lymphoma. For many people, rapid weight loss is the first symptom that cancer is present.

Personally, I have seen 100 people with a simple swollen lymph node for every person who I have seen with a lymphoma.

Of course anything is possible, but from what you are telling me it does not sound like lymphoma.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thank you it helps put my mind at ease.