Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I think my gallbladder is acting up. For the passed six months

I think my gallbladder is acting up. For the passed six months i was going to a chiropractor for back pain on the right side below my sholder blade. Lately that pain has gone away but i'm starting to feel a little dis comfort on my right side just below the rib cage. Foe the past month i noticed my stolls have been very hard and small. For the past week i have been on a diet and my stomach feels alittle bloated but not real bad. I want to try some home remedy first. Do you have any sudjustions. I bought some organic beet juce to take but i don't know how much or how often i should take it or what to take it with. Can you help me out on this ? how should i take it ? What about lime juice also ? Thanks pat

Hello, Pat;

Thank you for writing in today.

Based on your information, I would suspect this may be some gallbladder irritation too; however, there are some other things to consider, such as liver and ulcers. At this point, I respect the desire to use a home remedy approach; however, I think having an assessment, workup, and proper diagnosis is very important. Since you have had some right sided discomfort complaints for about 6 months and have developed stool changes and bloating, I think this needs evaluated and diagnosed properly. I realize that no one wants the "go to your provider" answer, but I hope you understand why I am recommending it.

If this does turn out to be a gallbladder issue, the important things to incorporate into your daily routine is as follows: low fat diet, eating small frequent meals, and maintaining hydration. Weight loss may also help, if you have a weight issue. You may notice that certain foods or drinks will trigger some discomfort, so you will want to avoid those foods. As for the juice, I have heard of carrot and beet juice being used for gallbladder cleansing. Generally, it is recommended to consume 2-4 glasses per day, depending on the resource you use. As for the lime juice, I am not familiar with this home remedy.

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I bought a 17oz bottle of beet juice how much should i take oz wise. should i mix it in a glass of water if so how much and how often should i take it. thanks pat
Is this a beet juice concentrate?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it says its premium quality 100% organic juicse rich with natural minerals &vitamins, to promote good health. juices nener from concentrate. 19.9 oz bottle made from 3 beet roots. not concentrate

I would recommend starting with two glasses per day. Eight ounces each. If you find this too distasteful, you can add water to dilute the juice. Overall, I think this is a great idea for improving your health and nutrition. As for the gallbladder or your gastrointestinal complaints, I can not guarantee this will help, and I will have to recommend that provider visit I mentioned. However, I do hope this helps. If anything, I suspect this may help a bit with your stools.

You may also want to refer to the recommended serving size on the container. The organic beet juices I am familiar with recommend an 8 ounce serving; however, if your differs, such as a recommended 4 ounce serving size, I would recommend following that serving size. Some juice, although not a concentrate, are more concentrated and have a smaller serving size recommendation. Again, 2 glasses a day to start would be a good starting point.

I hope this helps.