Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

hello my left ankle swells up now and then but not my right

hello my left ankle swells up now and then but not my right leg i am a coach driver and the left leg is in the same position sometimes on long runs i have never had this before can you help??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear navy,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

How long is the ankle swelling present?

is it all the time or sometime?

did you consult a doctor yet?

do you suffer from diabetes or hypertension?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hello dont suffer from diabetes or hypertension no i havent seen a doctor yet im hoping i can sort it with out going to a doctor .my ankle swells up when standing or sometimes sitting it dont hurt and its sometimes also the swelling....i have high blood presure in my family but apart from that very fit.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear navyseal,

Thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of such swollen ankles.The common ones are prolonged sitting or standing, venous stasis, deep venous thrombosis, lymphatic obstruction, congestive heart failure, kidney failure, liver failure, etc.

As per the symptoms it seems that you are having the swollen ankles due to the prolonged sitting.The drivers and conducters and those who are at prlonged sitting or standing work are at increased risk.

The venous stasis causes the blood to accumulate and such swelling.

The other cause could be the venous thrombosis which may also cause such swollen ankles and such symptoms and should be ruled out.

The electrolyte imbalance may also be associated with such symptoms.You should also get your BP checked as the uncontrolled hypertension may also causes kidney damage and such swollen ankles.

You should try to avoid prlonged sitting and wear the compression stockings.The low salt diet is also advised to you.

The relevant investigations done like serum electrolytes, venous doppler, serum urea, creatinine , 2d echo of heart will help us in knowing any associated abnormality.You may consult a doctor if your symptoms are not controlled.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!