Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I am a male of 65 and this week i have been consistently passing

I am a male of 65 and this week i have been consistently passing loads of urine. I have diabetes 2 but have not needed any medication for this
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I have a few questions. I hope you understand.

Do you monitor your blood sugar? If so, how often and what are the recent results?

Do you have any other symptoms, such as burning or pressue when you urinate?

Could it be that you are urinating just more often and/or is it just large amounts of urine?

Any prostate issues?

How long have you had diabetes? When was your last hemoglobin A1c and microalbumin check?

Please let me know.

Two more questions. Any recent changes in medication, such as a diuretic, or dosages? How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No changes in medication. This has been occuring for about 6 days

Thank you for writing in today. It appears that you may not have seen the previous questions. However, at this point, I can provide you with some information.

I would have to recommend an evaluation. I realize that no one wants the "go to your provider" answer. However, sometimes it is necessary.

At this point, this increase in urination may be caused by any number of issues. However, there are some causes that are more common.

If this is an increase in urine amount, this may be polyuria. Polyuria can be a symptom of high blood sugar. If you are not currently checking your blood glucose, you need to start. High blood sugar can progress to ketoacidosis, which can become a life threatening situation. At this point, ketoacidosis would be one of the most important conditions to rule out. Since you have diabetes type 2, unfortunately, after time, this will likely progress to a point in which you will require medication management. Therefore, you need to see your provider.

Another possibility is that there is some urinary tract infection or prostate issue causing frequency. Frequency is often mistaken for increased urination. It can be difficult to differentiate voiding frequently in small amounts versus large amounts of urine. You should visit with your provider. He/she will want to do a complete history and likely a urinalysis, to check for infection, at a minimum. Also, depending on your history, possibly a prostate exam.

Finally, increased urination may cause electrolyte imbalance. At this point, since this has gone on for almost a week, your provider will likely want to check some electrolyte labs.

These are just a few of the most common possibilities. There are also renal issues to consider and hydration status. However, most concerns can be ruled out with a simple office visit and lab work.

I hope this helps. Again, no one wants the "go to your provider" answer, but sometimes it is necessary. I hope you understand.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know.