Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

my tests came back negative..use feminine sprays

I have recently been tested for all major types of std's as well as any BV. All my tests came back negative. I have had a "female" odor for most of my life & have been told that I would either have to live with it or just use feminine sprays. The last doctor advised that I might have some type of uti since i can't "hold it" for long. Can you advise if i might have a uti? If not, can you suggest what else the odor might be? I notice it's usually worse before & after my period. I bath & shower regularly. Thank You!
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.
Hello! The possibility of a UTI is easly determined with a urine sample. A urinalysis is done in office and the results only take a few minutes to get back. I think one possibility is that you may have highly sensitive sense of smell. If you think of it you have probably noticed that you are either more sensitive than others to smells, about average or less than others. I happen to be less sensitive than others for example. On the other hand, I used to employ a receptionist that wasmuch more sensitive to odors than others. So the individual differences in odor perception is one possible explanation to the problem. The UTI if present could be associated with odor and this can easily be ruled out, or easily treated if it should rule in. If you had a problem with frequent recurrent UTI's then this might be prevented by taking vitamin C 500mg once or twice a day. It is good for you anyway and this makes the urine more acidic and less susceptible to most bacteria.(Same principle as drinking lots of cranberry juice for a suspected UTI) It might be normal vaginal secretions. One twist on the yogurt idea is to try inserting a tampon with yogurt on it for a few minutes. This may be a stronger way to applicate the normalizing bacteria of the yogurt. I hope that some of these ideas and tips prove helpful. If you have further questions then let me know and I'll be glad to get back with you. Best Regards, XXXXX

Edited by Anthony Bray MD on 10/1/2009 at 6:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good information. I have a few more clarification questions:

1. Can I get tested for a UTI outside of a doctor's office? (i.e. can I test for a uti with a drug store test?)

2. If after taking the Vitamin C, applying the yogurt to a tampon and drinking cranberry juice, I still notice an odor, what are your ultimate conclusions about my situation? Do I just have to live with it, as others have suggested? Or is there any other possible answer? Just to let you know, a few other people (close friends & family) have commented on it in a nice way.

Thank You

Hi again! There might be some uralysis tests thatmay be purchasedat the drugstorebut there are a variety of these that test for different things such as glucose fo rexample.(I've never noticed in a drug store the same type of urinalysis strip that we would typically use in the office but that is not to say that some places might have the same type.) I would recommend that a doctor's office repeat this type of testing.I would think that the same parameters would likely be tested. If you should need an antibiotic then one could be prescribed and there is not an equivalent to this OTC. An abnormalodor I think would be more likely vaginal than urinary tract. It sounds that you have done what you can. Trying the infection preventing tips that I have offered may help.I hope that this is the case.If you ask your doctor to check you again I would also inquire astospecifically testing for trichomonas.This can be specifically tested with a DNA amplification test where the typical wetprep test it may be easy to overlook this organism. It is an STD but one that as a single cell parasite might live intravaginally in small numbers for a long time. (FYI Just a thought) This is not very likely to be trhe culprit if you,ve been treated several times for BV in the past. I'm not going to say that you have to put up with it as I personally would resent this attitude. I may not have found THE answer to the problem and others may not have yet ; but I'm not going to tell you that a solution does not exist.I hope this helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any. Best Regards---- Anthony Bray MD