Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)
14102772

I started to have pain on the pad of my thumb a few days ago.

Customer Question

I started to have pain on the pad of my thumb a few days ago. It has gotten worse whereas there is heat and inflammation now. No wounds in the areas and I dont remember injuring the area. What can cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Is there any numbness or paresthesia?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. There seems to be numbness in the area of the pad where the pain exhists. Also heat. No puncture or wounds however.
You are most likely having carpal tunnel syndrome which occurs due to compression of median nerve at the wrist. To know the details of thi condition you can follow this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

You should see a neurologist to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I find it hard to believe that carpal tunnel has anything to do with this. I have experience with carpal tunnel. This is not affecting the joints, tendons or muscular areas of my hand. Just the pad of the thumb. One would think that something was causing infection (that's what the pain is like) There is heat and swelling, yet there are no puncture wounds or areas that can show any type of injury!
The other possibilities include overuse that could produce muscle pain, tendinitis, fibrositis, epicondylitis, & psychological conditions that may contribute to disability. There could also ne some nerve pinching in the cervical spine at C6,7 level that can produce these symptoms. You should see a neurologist.