Doctor Mark
Doctor Mark, Doctor
Experience:  board certified in Internal Medicine. Over 30 years of geriatric and primary care experience

week now I have had sharp pains in the lower side of my right breast

About a month ago after a trip to the emergency room, I found out I have gallstones and surgery has been recommended. However, I do not have insurance and trying to put it off as long as possible. For over a week now I have had sharp pains in the lower side of my right breast that increases with deep breaths & sudden movement. Last week, I was pushing & pulling on furniture & thought maybe a strained muscle but the pain is not getting any better with time. It is not the same pain I had with the gallstones but wondering if it is gallbladder related.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Mark replied 7 years ago.
Yes the pain is most likely from your gallbladder. What you now have is acute cholecystitis or an infection in the gallbladder. Surgery is the only option or else the gallbladder can rupture.
You can not put this off any longer. You must go back to the ER and they have to legally take care of you. Repeat tests and ultrasound will be done and they have to get a surgeon for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They referred me to a surgeon and I went to see him-estimated cost 10K for surgery. How do they determine it has to be taken care of immediately?
What you need to do is go to the ER now. They will get blood work and another ultrasound. From what you tell me, I think your gallbladder is now infected and I suspect the tests will confirm that. They can tell by elevated liver tests, a high blood count, increased amylase and an ultrasound with a thicken wall. Once you are in the ER they are legally obligated to consult a surgeon immediately and operate .