Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.

I have a chronic pain under my left ribs. It begins about the

I have a chronic pain under my left ribs. It begins about the center of my left rib and goes left to my side. Now it sometimes moved down my left side. Sometimes it feels like a sore muscle and sometimes it feels like trapped gas. I've had this pain on and off for a couple of years now. When it starts it can last a couple of weeks or just a couple of days. Half of the time it's accompanied by gurling or a growling sound. I can't tell what triggers it. I'm 16 weeks pregnant and it seems to be happening for longer periods of time now. Also, sometimes it feel acidy, if that makes sense. I used to drink heavily and smoke. I'm scared.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions-
1.Since when it is there?
2.Is there any relation with the intake of food?
3.Is there any chronic disease like diabetes or high blood pressure?
4.Are you having stress?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The latest episode has been going for a couple of weeks. I've had episodes I know since the birth of my son 2 1/2 years ago and I think I had them before I had my son a couple of times. I forgot to mention that the pain is not terrible, it about a 3 or 4.
I can't tell if it's food related.
I do not have diabetes. I am about 30 lbs overweight. I have normal to low blood pressure.
I am having stress, but I know this has happening when I am not having stress.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
By looking at your description & with your habit of smoking & drinking heavily it looks that you may be suffering from increased acid secretion in your stomach associated with increased motility which may itself be due to your increased acid secretion & pregnancy.You should do following to have relief-

1.Avoid smoking & drinking excessively ,it is also specially advised to avoid this during pregnancy as this may also lead to congenital malformation in coming child.

2.Avoid eating at the night & do not take large meals.

3.Avoid eating hot,oily & spicy things.

4.You may chew the chewing gum which helps in increasing the salivary secretions,which helps in neutralizing acid.

5.You may have some antacid like calcium carbonate,sodium bicarbonate,magnesium trisilicate,sucralfate or rantidine(rantac) to have relief.

Hope this all will be helpful.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Um, actually I don't smoke or drink anymore. I thought I said "used to", Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
That is good.It is the good way so now your lining of stomach can heal well.

If you are atisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think you're getting my meaning. I USED to drink, years ago. This doesn't come from recent drinking.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Hello Georgia,
I am getting your point so that i had provided the input.The treatments provided to you will be helpful.Except this this feeling may be there due to excessive gas formation for which you should avoid high sugar diet,avoid excess amount of fibers also because the complex carbohydrates in these may also add to no. of bacterias which by forming gases in intestines also lead to distension then pain & then excessive motility of the intestine muscles & thus these sounds & pain.You should do following more to have relief with this complaint-

1.Avoid complex carbohydrates in the diet.
like that is found in the cabbage,onions,brussel sprouts,carrots,apricots,etc.

2.If you have problem of indigestion then you may have pancreatic enzyme supplements which will help in digesting the food well.

3.There is an enzyme d-galactosidase produced by mold & can be found commercially in beano.This will help to digest the complex carbohydrates thus reduce the distension & pain due distension of intestine.

4.You may also have OTC available simethicone(flatulex ) or active charcol for this problem.

Hope this will be helpful.