Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Why do I constantly get nauseous and sometimes actually begin

Why do I constantly get nauseous and sometimes actually begin dry-heaving after intercourse? It's been going on for 3yrs. since I've been married.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.
Hello! I can't tell you with any certainty as to what is the exact cause of this but I suspect that the fact that lying on your left side helping this is a strong clue as to what may be going on. I suspect that you may have an ulcer. I suspect that certain positions and activity (in your case having sex) is somehow related to this ulcer being hit with increased amount of stomach acid and that this may produce the nausea and occasional vomiting. Sometimes ulcers do not present with the same expected symptoms such as the burning discomfort. You might consult your doctor about this isue. If you were my patient I would probably test a blood test for H. Pylori which is a bacteria that thrives in the high acid environment of the stomach.This bacteria is a frequent cause of ulcers in the lower stomach and in the duodenum which is the first segment of small intestine. If you had an ulcer then you would likely benefit to take either a prescription med for stomach acid or OTC you could take Prilosec 20 mg a dya. Taking this for six weeks at least might allow the potential ulcer to heal. If you had H. Pylori then this tough little bacteria requires two weeks of double antibiotics to clear it up. Avoiding certain foods for the next six weeks including onions/tomatoes/foods with tomato sauce/hot spicy foods/citrus fruits/alcoholic drinks/coffee/ and anti-inflammatory meds such as Aleve ,Advil and aspirin would also help.(Tylenol is OK) > Another possibility is that the sexual activity might trigger a vagal response. The vagal response may be associated with nausea and this may be stronger in you than in most people. You might benefit to try OTC dramamine or Benedryl prior to intercourse. If one of these don't do the trick then your MD could prescribe something stronger such as Phenergan. If phenergan I would recommend trying a half tablet 12.5 mg 1 hour before having sex to see if this worked. Well, I hope these tips will prove helpful for you. If you have any further questions then let me know. Best Regards, XXXXX XXXXX MD