A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have a really embarrassing question and potential problem.

Customer Question

I have a really embarrassing question and potential problem. Last week I found what I though was a really bad ingrown hair on my external vagina, in plain sight.I watched it for a few days and it didn't get better, only bigger and harder. I thought if I took a hot bath and popped the sack then i could tweeze the hair out and the problem would go away. But it was super hard to pop,what looked liked puss came out but there was no ingrown hair. Even though it hurt, I removed the whole boil/sack thing with tweezers. Bad idea i'm sure. Now I have a fairly large scab that ive been putting neosporiun on to help with healing. I looked up my symptions and talked to a nurse at planned parenthood and have come to the realization that I have Herpes. I really dont want to go in to see my Dr bc im embarresed I ripped part of my pubic skin off trying to get ride of the scary blister. What should I do to help it heal? I'm scared that removing a herpies sack is going to lead to a bad infection. Help!
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Please don't hesitate to see your physician. We see everything every day, so it won't be anything that hasn't been seen before, and won't even raise an eyebrow. If pus came from the lesion, it probably was not herpes, and herpes typically doesn't involve a sac. Herpes are small clear fluid filled blisters. It sounds more like what you had was a cyst which was infected. The problem now is that it is very subject to risk from further infection and you may need antibiotics. Your physician can also run a blood test to see if you have herpes. If you do there are medications that help prevent an outbreak.