Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Hi, I have had a stomach flu going on 14 days, all the symptoms

Hi, I have had a stomach "flu" going on 14 days, all the symptoms are now gone except the diarreah, I just can't keep anything in and have tried introducing solid/foods and fiber but still nothing, should I try an anti diarreah med..cipro did nothing and bloodwork and stool sculpture negative.

thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Have you ever been diagnosed with any bowel disorders?

When you went in for the stool study, did they check you for Ova and Parasites?

What advice (if any) did the Dr give you when you received your stool culture results?

Thanks, I'll look for the reply

This info request is only to gain more information so that I can better answer your question. Please answer the questions to the best of your ability so that I can give you a more accurate, informed answer. Also, if you have any additional information that you feel would be useful, please feel free to include that as well. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
checked for parasites/bacteria
just to rest and introduce solid food fiber
thank you

Hi, I would rule out the ova and parasite and bacteria with a stool study first. If all clear, your Dr might tell you that you have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Some Dr's will also want you to undergo a colonoscopy as well before chalking it up to IBS.

This may be transient but your frequent stools may be due to a hyperactive bowel due to either stress or an unknown factors. This might pass or this may become a normal regimen for you as it does with many patients who have IBS.

The bad (if you will) thing about IBS is the cause is not completely understood. Some suspect that it might be a defect in the smooth muscle in the colon. Nonetheless, IBS does not cause permanent damage to the colon and does not increase your risk for colon cancer, but can be very aggravating, painful, and even embarrassing.

In diarrhea predominant IBS, ispaghula husks 2-3 sachets daily (increase in fiber), anti-diarrheal agents such as Imodium or Lomotil can be used. Anti-spasmotics such as Hyoscyamine may be tried but can have side effects. Anti-depressants have possible use as does peppermint oil (200 mg capsules 2-3/day). The anti-depressants have been shown to help greatly with IBS.

As far as other medications go, cholestyramine may help but will require a prescription from your Dr.

Probiotics, good bacteria, such as Activia may be helpful.

There is no scientific evidence to support alternative medicine options.

Some foods may make symptoms worse and you must exclude those that have a bad effect. Some examples are beans, cabbage, broccoli, carbonated beverages and dairy products. Small frequent meals instead of three large meals may help. For gas and bloating, OTC meds containing simethicone (Gas-X or Mylicon) may help.

Behavioral therapy such as bowel training and psychotherapy may help in some severe cases.

I don't know if you have tried all of these things listed above, but if not, it would certainly be worth a try.

Hope this helps!

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Edited by Nurse Milli on 10/1/2009 at 2:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, so if I were to use an "imodium" product then you feel this would maybe just help and not right the situation? (I was hoping for a quick cure especially after 10 days of hell)

Or do you think it may be serious enough to meet with my dr.

Thank you

Hi, I would go ahead and try the Immodium for reasons of dehydration and the fact the diarrhea is causing you interference with your daily living. But would also highly recommend that you do see your Dr about it. I would not use the Immodium for long either.