Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

recently had a blood test done and have been tested

i have recently had a blood test done and have been tested positive for a food intollerance how can i find out wat food is causing me problems as the symptoms are constantly there?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Welcome to JustAnswer. What kind of symptoms do you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
bloated tummy after i eat but there does not seem to be a noticable pattern, loose bowl movment few hrs after eating feel heavy a groggy all the time sometimes struggle with breathing but not sure if if thats due to very blated tummy or something else
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

It can be very difficult to pin down a specific food that you are having problems with. There are many common problem foods, and most people will have an intolerance to several foods. The common offenders are cow's milk, wheat, corn, eggs, soy, sugar, corn syrup, chocolate, rye, barley and peanuts. There are many more, but each person is very unique in their intolerances of food. Then of course, there are all the chemicals that are now added to most of the foods we eat. So get set to do some homework.

Since you are having symptoms all the time, and you feel this is a due to food intolerances, and not something like IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), then trying an "elimination diet", or hypoallergenic diet might help you identify what the offenders are.

I have to note here---IBS can be caused or aggravated by food intolerances.

There are many ways to do this, the most drastic of which is to fast, then slowly re-introduce foods. I would not advise this. The sensible way to do this is to eliminate all foods that are suspect. Since you have been keeping a food diary, you can tell what you eat every day. Do not eat these foods for at least 7 days, and up to 4 weeks. Then eat one. Give it a few days. See what happens. Keeping a diary of all this can be very helpful. If you develop symptoms, stop eating it. If you don't, try a second food.

Here is a simple elimination diet:

Eliminate all of the following foods from your diet:

• All dairy products including milk, yogurt, ice cream, cheese.
  • All foods containing Gluten: wheat products, anything made with flour, barley, oat and rye grains
  • Eggs, and products containing eggs
  • Corn, and products containing corn
  • Citrus fruits
  • All processed foods (anything that is prepackaged, bottled, in a jar, not a single food item, and not made by you.)

After at least 7 days (you need to be free of symptoms), reintroduce one food group at a time and monitor the response. Give each food group about 5 to 7 days before adding another.

If you don't have a reaction you can continue to eat this food, then reintroduce another.

If you do have a reaction, stop eating this food, wait until you have no symptoms, then reintroduce the next food group.

If you are faithfully eating an elimination diet, and you are still having symptoms before you start reintroducing foods, you will need to decide which foods to eliminate. An example may be brocolli. You should be able to see which foods are likely offenders from your food diary. It will be simpler to see a pattern once you have eliminated the above foods.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you have any sugestions on the foods i can eat in the mean time? it just seems as if there will be no foods left to keep me going?
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

Sure there will be:

• Fruits and vegetables. Get these either fresh or frozen (just the fruit or veg, no other ingredients). You can use anything except corn.
  • Use rice for your grain. Again, don't use premixed and preseasoned rice. Just plain white or brown rice. Rice cereals, either cold or cooked cream of rice.
  • Use soy based creamers if you need milk for cereal
  • Beef, fish, chicken, pork: buy these fresh or frozen (again with no added ingredients)
  • Legumes (dried beans of any sort, lentils and peas)

This is to start with. Continue your food diary. After a week or so, start reintroducing one food group at a time and see what happens.

You may have to do a bit of cooking, but you may find that you feel so much better it will be well worth the effort. If the initial diet doesn't make you feel better; or your symptoms ever get worse you should see your doctor to determine if there is something else going on. Especially your shortness of breath.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management