Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)
14102772

throat..neck pain..my head down or right and left is extremely painful

Customer Question

I recently had a pretty nasty cold, but right about the time it was in the cough and sore throat phase I started having neck pain. Over the last 3 days it has progressed to the point where moving my head down or right and left is extremely painful. I've tried pressure, stretching, heat, even painkillers..
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

It looks like you have developed sinusitis as it can cause these symptoms. You may need to do an anti-biotic course. I would advise you to see an ENT specialist to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would that be why my cough is still very persistent? (although not severe)

Cough would be due to the sore throat that you had. Some infection still seems to be present. It has lead to infection of the sinus which is causing you these headaches. An anti-biotic course of something like Augmentin should help after doing the culture tests. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well I don't have a headache, just neck pain and stiffness...still sound like an infection?
How old are you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
29

Although, you are just 29 years of age but if your problem persists I would advise you to get an MRI of the spine done to rule out cervical spondylosis. I thought you were having headache on moving your head because of sinusitis. But now it looks like cervical spondylosis. Even meningitis can cause neck stiffness but it would have fever and other signs. You should see a doctor as examination is important. Thanks.