Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

how do i remove water from behind my eardrum

What are your current symptoms?
How long has this been going on?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sounds like there is water trapped in my ear and has been going on for 1 month
Thanks for the additional information,

A few things may be causing your symptoms,
You may have wax in the ear canal. Water can get trapped behind the wax and give you the sensation of water in the ear.
You can try over the counter wax softeners such as cerumenex or debrox or mix 1/2 part water and 1/2 part hydrogen peroxide and put a dropperful in your ear to help soften the wax.
If you are feeling plugging and fullness of the ear, you may have fluid behind the eardrum. If there is pain as well, you could also have an infection which would need antibiotic treatment.
If there is no pain and you are only having the feeling of fullness and pressure, then you likely do have fluid behind the eardrum. There are a few things that can be tried, although nothing has been shown to work well for this condition. Over the counter antihistamines or antihistamine/decongestants such as claritin D can be tried. Your doctor can also prescribe a nasal steroid spray.
Often the fluid will go away on its own but will take up to 2-3 months.
You can consult with an ENT, who can also drain the fluid or put a tube in the ear.

If you have any further questions, I am happy to answer them for you.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to click accept. Thank you!