Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

Hi, I am a 51 year old man with high blood pressure. I am

I am a 51 year old man with high blood pressure. I am taking no medication of any sort for anything.
Having checked out; that there is no family history, that I have a good diet, my collesterol levels are good, not smoking, drinking an average of a bottle of wine per week, I am focussing on exercise (30 mins swimming with heart rate maintained above 125, at least 4 times per week) as a way of getting it back under control.
Over the last 3 months:
- my 10 day average blood pressure readings have reduced from 170/105 to 148/92 (with the best being 139/86).
- my highest reading was 203/128 (at initial diagnosis)
- my lowest reading was 132/75 (3 weeks ago)
My questions:
Based on this data what average blood pressure can I reasonably expect to get to given time?
Also assuming that I maintain my current regime how long before I can expect to have reached the best figure that I'm going to?
Thanks
Tom
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

How frequently you measure your bp and what is it now?

how long are you having such elevated bp?

did you consult a doctor yet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the prompt reply. In answer to your questions:

- BP measured when I remember but at least daily

- Currently 150/97

- Length of high bp not known, only discovered by chance in early July

- Yes have consulted a doctor, they did the blood tests. I have my next appointment in three weeks to see how I am getting on with the exercise regime, but being very "left hemisphere" I like to have targets that I know that I can achieve!!!

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for the information,

Its good to hear that you are trying to control your elevated BP to the acceptable normal range.The slight increase in BP does occur with age and 140/90 is considered to be the higher limit for practical purpose.

Since you are having slightly elevated BP so you may consider the natural ways to reduce it by following certain precautiuons.You may take less salt in diet, reduce weight and exercise regularly. You should also avoid caffeine ,alcohol and smoking if you do so.

The antihypertensive drug therapy may be required if the above measures fail to control your blood pressure.You may continue to follow the precautions and monitor the BP daily to see for the improvement.

Here is the link for more information

natural ways to reduce blood pressure

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You haven't answered my original questions of:

- Based on this data what average blood pressure can I reasonably expect to get to given time?

- Also assuming that I maintain my current regime how long before I can expect to have reached the best figure that I'm going to?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Over 1.5 hours and no response from any medical people ..... could it be that those on line do not realise that I've blocked Dr.RK due to his lack of any attempt to answer the questions asked?

Any doctors interested in answering?

Expert:  Dr. S Riaz replied 5 years ago.
It does look like that you will be able to bring your blood pressure within the normal range i.e. less than 140/90 if you restrict salt in your diet, exercise regularly as you are doing and reduce weight. Although, it's difficult to say in what frame of time you will achieve that but since you have already brought down your b.p. to a reasonable extent, you can continue with your efforts. I guess in a week's time it should be within normal range. No one can tell in what time frame you are going to attain the best figure that you are trying for. If any says any such thing then he is just bluffing. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Edited by Dr. Shariq Riaz on 10/1/2009 at 1:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

"I guess in a week's time it [your bp] should be within normal range."

It is difficult to see how you think that this can be true when 3 month's of exercise has only managed to reduce it as stated.

The actual question, so far unanswered, was:

Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Your question can not be answered until you know why you have high blood pressure. It's true that many times we think of hypertension as a Diagnosis, but in reality it is a symptom. Until you know what the cause is, it would impossible to say when, or if, your blood pressure can be reduced to a "normal" state.

Causes of hypertension:

• Diet with too much salt, and/or too little potassium
  • Genetic factors (you say there is no family history)
  • Overweight
  • Fluid retention (caused by medications, alcohol, or disease conditions)
  • Too much stress
  • Too little physical activity (you have addressed this)
  • Excessive alcohol intake (a bottle of wine per week is not excessive)
  • Disease conditions involving blood vessels, heart, kidneys, liver, endocrine system (such as diabetes, thyroid disorders; adrenal gland disorders)
  • Mental health issues that affect moods/anxiety
  • Some medications (such as NSAID's on a daily basis, nasal decongestants, diet pills, to name a few)
  • Excessive intake or a sensitivity to caffeine.
  • And in some cases, there is no cause ever found. Most likely these are people with genetic factors that never knew these factors existed. Our parents and grandparents didn't all have their blood pressures monitored back "in the day".

So, the best answer anyone can give you is that if you follow the regimen you have been doing, given that you do not have any of the above problems, and that you follow a diet like the DASH diet, your blood pressure should get as low as it will get within a year (maybe sooner). If it doesn't, you need to have further testing done, and/or take antihypertensive medications.

I applaude your determination to improve your health without drugs. But don't allow this to cause damage to your organs that may not be reversible later.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Valerie,

Many thanks for the most accurately targetted answer.

Tom

Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tom,
You're very welcome. I wish you luck on your venture. And Thank you!