Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Can you help me I have come to a standstill with diets on &

Customer Question

Can you help me I have come to a standstill with diets on & off for 20 years. I wake up in the morning with good insentive but by 18:00 while at work or at home I think about food for comfort what can I eat what is in the cupboard that is not fruit veg or good for you. I have been a w/watcher & succeeded twice slimming world, atkins cambridge diet slimfast & lipotrim 2 yrs ago but no matter how hard I try to keep it off with diet & exercise, it slowely creeps on I've lost my control. I'm 13 st 5lbs all on the stomach, my G.P told me I must loose weight "what's so difficult" he says your b/p is 140/90 & cholesterol is 8.2 you must do somthing I need a one to one advice please! I live alone
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Kel- Medicine Woman replied 7 years ago.

Hi waterlilies. Thanks for your question. I am so sorry your GP was so insensitive. Weight loss is very difficult and requires lifestyle changes, not just short term dieting. It is concerning that most of your excess weight is on your stomach as this has been shown to increase your risk of heart disease.

First of all, congratulations on losing the weight in the past! You know you can do it again, but this time when you reach your goal you will have to keep a close eye on your eating and exercise habits. It is important to look at what happened when you reached you goal on a program in the past. What kind of eating/exercise habits did you have after the program?

I have a few questions for you:

How much weight did you lose on the programs in the past?

What is your height and your goal weight?

Are you interested in using one of the programs that you have been successful using in the past to lose weight, or would you rather try to do it on your own?

What did you like or dislike about these programs?

I will be happy to help you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi I lost 2stone in 1988 with weight watchers, I kept it off for 3 years i lost 1stone with cambridge diet in 1990. I kept on asensible eating plan kept weight stable. In 1995 My husband laft me for another woman I put on weight then in 1996 I decided to really go for it increase my aerobics & other workout classes rejoined w/watchers & lost 2st 7lbs so I weighed 9st 3 lbs. My height is 5' 4''. I looked great then in 2000 my ex husband challanged my divorce on finance this for some reason made me comfort eat. I lost my job in 1986 made redundant then I was depressed etc. In 2005 I picked myself up & joined slimming world lost 7lbs lost the will as my daughter in law stopped me seeing my grandchildren & son so on the weight went again. I went to G.P not mine & joined lipotrim @ 14st 8lbs I lost kept to diet & lost 3 st in 6mths since thern I have tried to keep it off. I lost 1st with slimfast & working out at curves for my son's wedding july but since then I've lost the will & comfort eating has taken over I just can't think of point calories sins etc I feel i've got a real problem with food & aI hate my figure my G.P has told me my cholesterol is 8.2 my B.P. is 140/90 which is high how can i get my head round this problem can you help me please