Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

i have had nipple discharge for a number of years, it is very

i have had nipple discharge for a number of years, it is very slight, creamy colured. I have had a breast exam which was fine. What are the possible reasons for this? Are any of them serious. My bloods have been taken and I am awaiting the results.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

Is the discharge from both nipples?
Does it come from multiple ducts of each nipple?
Is there every any black color or blood in the discharge?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
both nipples but mainly one. Not sure about multiple ducts as i rarely see it coming out. It is usually when I have taken a bath and put my pyjamas on there is a couple of drops or when i take off my bra there is a tiny residue. very small quantities and does not happen when squeezed. usually on a monthly basis around menstruation. No, never any dark colour or blood.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
First I would like to reassure you that this does not sound serious.
Worrisome nipple discharge is usually one sided, persistent (continuous), and bloody or clear/bloody. This type of discharge is caused by a breast papilloma or breast cancer.

The discharge that you are experiencing may be simple physiolgic discharge (normal). It could be due to elevated prolactin (the milk producing hormone) in the blood or due to stimulation of the nipples (even an ill-fitting bra can cause this in some people)

Abnormal thyroid function can also cause this.

It does not sound like your discharge is worrisome (from a breast cancer standpoint). Your doctor likely checked your thyroid hormone levels and your prolactin levels to make sure those are normal. You may simply have physiologic discharge that occurs around your period.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to click accept. Thank you!