Chandershekhar
Chandershekhar, Pharmacist
Experience:  Community Pharmacist- Bachelor of Pharmacy degree awarded by RUHS
15328938

stress fracture of the neck of the femur

My son is visiting in Thailand and has just suffered a stress fracture of the neck of the femur. What is the typical treatment for that here and abroad. What should we be aware of for his medical care there?
Welcome to justanswer,

How and when did the fracture happen?
did he consult a doctor yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just received the call from my daughter. Very bad telephone reception. They do a lot of hiking so I would assume a fall. They just arrived at the hospital.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have just found out that it is a fracture, not a stress fracture and they are moving him to Phuket International. He fell and landed on his side.
Thank you for the information,

The fracture may occur in various bones of the body and cause sympotomatic pain and may even limit the physical activity.

The treatment is usually managed by reducing the fracture by manipulation and the leg is immobilised in full plaster spica in abduction position for 8-10 weeks.So your son may need about 2 months for the fracture to heal if the splint and plaster is used asthe treatment option.

Sometimes the fracture doesn't heal and in that case surgery and internal fixation is done by fixing prosthesis in the femur.

The drugs like motrin, advil, tylenol may be given to control the pain and inflammation.

Please do have a look here for the more information

fracture of neck of femur

management of stress fracture

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is abduction position?
Thank you for the enquiry,

The abduction position is the position of the legs in which the legs are kept apart and away from midline of the body.

Please have a look here for more information

abduction

Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I understand this to mean his leg would be pulled out to the side. Would the knee be bent or straight?
The knees will remain in straight position.It will not be bent due to the splint and plaster put on his legs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the quick assistance. Do you speak Thai or know someone who speaks Thai that could do a telephone consult after he is moved to Puket and prior to his treatment. Payment for this would be in addition to fees paid for this session.

Again- Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your help.
Thank you for the reply!

I am from India and so i know hindi.I do not know any thai and i fell sorry that i am not be able to help you on this.Also it is against the site policy to contact the customer out of this forum privately.

You do let me know if you need any more help or clarification on the question and i will be happy to help you on this.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Again.Thank you for your assistance. You have been a great help.