Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My sister has had a high fever for the past 30 hours (a little

My sister has had a high fever for the past 30 hours (a little over 103 F). She also has strong neck pain and her eyes hurt. She can't turn the lights on because they hurt too much. I gave her 1000mg of tylenol this morning and the fever went down for a while, but then came back. I gave her another dose of tylenol a couple hours ago and she took a cold shower. Her temperature is down to only 100 F. Should I take her to the E.R. or should I wait till tomorrow morning? Could it be meningitis? in that case would it be dangerous to wait until morning?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

Has she nausea, vomiting, neck stiffness, headache, cough, pain abdomen, urinary complaints?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last night and this morning she was feeling nauseous, but did not vomit. The pain is in the back of her neck and back of her head, and earlier on this evening before she took the tylenol she said it hurt when she turned her head left to right.

she does have a headache... or maybe it has something to do with her eyes. because her eyes hurt and the region above her eyes, so her forehead hurts.

Earlier on she also mentioned that the right side of her abdominal area was painful.

But no cough and no urinary complaints.

An high grade fever, photophobia (light hurting), nausea, pain in neck and back, hurting eyes, warrants a physician's evaluation and it would be prudent to get her checked up at ER. It is difficult to say about the diagnosis. But an high index of suspicion should be kept with these symptoms and safety is important. A doctor's examination is needed to categorically rule out meningitis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it best to go to the ER now even if her temperature is almost back to normal? or is that only due to the tylenol?

I guess my question is if there is urgency to go to the ER now or if it can wait til morning. Could there be severe consequences if we wait til morning?

Since her present temperature is normal, you may wait till morning. Basically going to ER would be dependent on how she feels herself. If the normal temperature gives her feeling of lot of betterment, there is no harm in waiting as this more or less rules out or decreases the chance of meningitis. Even despite the normal temperature, she feels miserable, she should be seen at ER. If this is meningitis; which gives lot of ill feeling even when the medications bring the temperature down and photophobia (light repulsion) does not entirely disappear, going to ER as soon as possible is advised, as early treatment affects the overall prognosis.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine