Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi! I have had a bad headache for the past 3 days. I had a

Hi! I have had a bad headache for the past 3 days. I had a cold around a month ago, and the cough has stayed with me but other than that everything was ok untill 3 days ago. Really bad headache, especially from sudden movement, and also my ears hurt.

Do you have tenderness on face when you press around your nose?

Do you have nausea, vomiting, fever, neck stiffness, cough, phlegm?

What are the medicines you have tried?

Do you have nose blockage or running nose and/or sore throat?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Doctor.
No real tenderness.
My cough is still with me (has been for a month) so that causes some sore throat.
The headache hasnt gone away for the past 3 days, but it gets stronger sometimes..almost feels like something heavy is sitting on my head and i just want to lie down.
I actually live in Japan and they have gave me a few medicines, some anti biotics, etc. Most recently Myonal.
I just got tested for allergies and they all came back negative.
I also just got shingles about 2 weeks ago, but its mostly gone.

Thanks for your detailed response.

Following should be the consideration of the diagnosis four your present headache and one month old cough;

1) Sinusitis; it is good that you have been started with the antibiotics. It can take almost 72 hours for antibiotics to show the effects on the symptoms. Decongestants also would be helpful.

2) Post nasal drip; this is one of the commonest cause for persisting cough in your age group. Two to three weeks antihistaminics should be able to take care of it. Cyproheptadine is one of the best for it.

For the headache, you can take alternate four hourly Ibuprofen and acetaminophen. This should relieve it; meanwhile antibiotic and antihistaminic should start working.

Alarming signs would be fever, vomiting or vision disturbances, which would warrant visit to emergency facility.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont really have any congestion in my nose anymore. Would you still think that this is the case?

I just double checked the medicine I am taking and it is
Geninax (new-type quinolone antibacterial agent, generic name: garenoxacin mesilate hydrate this might only be in japan)

Also, althought my headache has been going on for 3 days, i have been taking the antibitoics for 3 days already as well. Ironically the headache started when i went to the doctor to check on my cough. When i was there , they check my fever and it was slight ly high (99.5) but since then ive checked a few times and its been normal.

Headache, hurting ear, cough point to upper respiratory tract infection. In the absence of fever, serious causes like encephalitis or meningitis can be ruled out which also have vision problems, nausea, neck stiffness also. The other causes of headache are primary headaches which are divided into three;

1) tension type headache; commonest

2) migraine

3) cluster headache; rare

A tension type headache can be another consideration which do respond to rest, analgesics, local analgesic ointment, massage, acupressure etc.

So a concomitant sinusitis with tension type headache would be the most likelihood diagnosis. Your present symptoms also point to the almost same conclusion by your examining physician.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for you help!
One last question!
Is it ok to be out and about, or should i stay home and sleep and rest?

I almost feel like ive been resting for too long, like a headache from too much sleep.

You are welcome.

With no alarming symptoms, you can do all your routine work and other normal activities like small walking or office work. But just don't exert yourself.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun