Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

My 16 month old grandson seems to have continuous diarrhea/loose

My 16 month old grandson seems to have continuous diarrhea/loose stools for several months now. The peditrician says it is the fruit juice he drinks, well we water in down considerably and he only has it maybe 3 times a day. He does drink milk at breakfast, we even stopped that for several weeks but it made no differnce. He has these loose stools about 6 to 7 times a day, usually after eating and drinking, particularly drinking. He has not lost any weight, is very entergetic doesn't act at all sick. He eats pretty well, and a pretty balanced diet. He has been teething alot in the last several months, I don't know that has anything to do with it or not. He is a twin, the other is a girl, with no problems, they were born at 32 weeks. He only stayed in the NICU for 4 days, he was the larger of the two, he weighed 4lbs at birth. Sometimes the stools are a dark green and sometimes they almost look like coffee grinds. Somtimes they look almost normal color wise, just really loose.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I have a question. I hope you understand.

What type of juice is he drinking?

How many ounces of liquid does he drink in a day?

Please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Apple, Apple Berry, White Grape, OJ. I would say about 24 to 36 ounces a day, not counting the 8 ounces of milk at breakfast.

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

At this point, I would have to agree with the pediatrician. As long as the child continues to gain weight, stay hydrated, and not demonstrate any symptoms of illness, I suspect this is just a benign loose stool issues.

There are a few things presented that may explain some of his diarrhea. First of all, apple juices are known to cause diarrhea. Even if watered down, this could be contributing to the problem. Next, he consumes roughly 44 ounces of liquid per day, this amount of liquid could cause his stools to be more loose. Since he is well hydrated, he does not need to absorb all the fluid in his gastric tract, so some is left and can pass in the stool, making them loose. Also, teething has been known to cause diarrhea in children. Loose stools and teething are common. Finally, since he is stooling after eating and drinking, this is likely due to his gastrocolic reflex. This is the reflex that speeds up the digestion and bowel function after eating and drinking. This reflex is the body's way of speeding up to digest the food and drink. Therefore, once he eats and drinks, his bowel kicks into overdrive to move the food and drink along the way, so his stool at the end of the track comes out.

I hope this helps explain things better. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner