Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

I am 44 years old! I have been smoking for 23 years. There

I am 44 years old! I have been smoking for 23 years. There is like a clear jel that I cough up in the mornings. Can you please tell me what is happening in my boddy?

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the beest possible information, so I have a couple of questions. I hope you understand.

Any other medical conditions?

How long have you been coughing this up in the morning?

How much do you smoke per day?

Please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1. I had low bloodpresure, depretion, fatige and normaly during wintertime all kinds of sicknesses - couthing ect.

2 . For more that 1 year.

3. 20 sigarettes per day.

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

I am going to tell you what I would tell a patient that presented in my office with similar symptoms and with a similar history. I suspect that this may be Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). I will explain.

The first presentation of COPD is often a history of coughing and early morning phlegm production. The gel like phlegm you describe could be phlegm associated with COPD. COPD is primarily caused by smoking. By the time early morning phlegm develops, there has been significant damage to the lungs. It has been speculated that there is a 50% reduction in functioning. Now, with this being said, it is still an early warning sign. Most people associate COPD with blue lips, fingers, labored breathing, oxygen, and activity limitations. These are all possible symptoms of COPD, but this represents end stages. In your case, slowing the progression is important.

You need to see your provider. You need to have a full physical assessment, and you also need to have some pulmonary function testing. You will want to talk with your provider about smoking cessation. I know that quitting smoking is not an easy task. Talk with your provider about options, such as Chantix or Wellbutrin. Work with your provider to establish a quit plan. Also, talk with your provider about routine pulmonary function testing and possible baseline chest x ray. Again, the key is to slow the progression.

I realize this is a great deal of information. Obviously, I can not substitute as a provider, and you will have to have a diagnosis by your provider, but please feel free to discuss this information I have presented with your provider.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What does the word Pulmonary mean?

That means lung.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I really don't mind.

Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I found Pulmonary Fibrosis and Pulmonary Hypertension in my Mannatech File. Is the part of this desease?

Chronic bronchitis and emphysema is more along the lines of COPD. Now, severe COPD can cause Cor Pulmonale, which can cause some heart failure.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Lisa

Thank You! You have helped me a lot! I will stop today! I have found those 2 in my Mannatech file and will start treating myself straith away! I have a friend and will ask her to monitor me! Blessings for you!

You are very welcome. Keep that motivation and quit smoking. I know you can do it. Go see your provider, get a diagnosis, and get a plan started for monitoring your lung function. From here on out, you need to keep those lungs healthy.

Have a good night!

Lisa