Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

i have been taking spiriva and advair for the past two weeks.

i have been taking spiriva and advair for the past two weeks. since i have been taking them I feel better but I have been spitting up small amounts of bloody mucus
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best information, so I have a few questions. I hope you understand.

Are you breathing easier?

Less cough?

Less wheezing (if you use to wheeze)?

Is the sputum blood tinged or bloody?

Is is a fresh red blood or an old brown blood?

Please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i a breathing better i have hardly any more cough now i had weezing but not any more the blood is red and in mucus. i have had broncitis before but i am not coughing or feeling ill

Hello;

Thank you for responding. This is what is likely happening. The Spiriva and Advair work by reducing the inflammation in the lungs, which explains why you are breathing better. Now, as the inflammation reduces, the small airways begin to open better. As the airways open, air can get in more easily and mucous can come out more easily. Some people actually have more mucous when they start these medications, because they can finally get mucous out. Chances are this is old mucous. When you have inflammation, such as bronchitis, this can cause stress and bleeding. This could be old bloody sputum from bleeding due to inflammation.

Now, if this is more than just blood tinged/streaked, meaning all red blood like a clot, or it is fresh, bright red bleeding, you should be seen by your doctor. You will likely need a chest xray to rule out possible causes.

I hope this helps. I think there was a bit of confusing about my questions with regard to fresh blood or old blood, etc. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i only spit up if i try to,to see if there is blood. i also take an asprin a day and i am a smoker.

Is the phlegm more blood tinged, meaning it has a little streak of blood or blood speckles? Or does it look like a blood clot and all blood? Which one?

When was your last chest xray? When was your last bronchitis?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they are like little clots and some

are are blood streaks. my last chest xray was in november of 08. my daughter just had bronctisis and i was around her this has just started since i took this medicine,however i am breathing much better.

..

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

This could be from some minor irritation or some mucosal irritation due to the medication; however, you need to be seen by your provider. You need to have a chest X ray. The chest film will check for tuberculosis and lung cancer. It is recommended that smokers have a chest x ray 8-12 weeks after bronchitis. Also, since you smoke, you are at risk for lung cancer, which bloody sputum can be a symptom, so you need periodic chest x rays. Again, likely a minor irritation, but you do need to be seen and other causes ruled out.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
should i contine to take this medication, or just take one of them

Yes, continue to take the medications. Even if you do have some minor irritation side effect, this will likely pass. For now, enjoy breathing better, but know you need to go in for an evaluation with your doctor.

Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i hate to bother you again, but my doctor said i had a snall emphesiam and before it gets worse hewanted me to go on this medication

Well, thank you for letting me know. I actually knew that, based on the medications and your information. We providers like to use the same medications :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could you tell me how much your help cost

You listed your question at $18. Anytime you hit the accept button, there is an $18 fee. You have hit the accept button once, so that would be equal to $18. If you accept the answers to any of the other questions, each will be $18. If you are prompted for a bonus, this is optional.

I hope this explains. If you have any other questions about the process, please let me know.

Lisa