Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

Good Evening! I am curious if a neck injury could cause weakness

Good Evening! I am curious if a neck injury could cause weakness on only one side of the body (for me, this would be my left). About a month ago, my new family physician told me to limit my activities involving my hands and prescribed Diclofenac Sodium 50mg to help with the pain I had been experiencing in my hands (I am a crafter, writer, pianist, etc.--basically I am hard on my hands). I had a bad reaction to that medicine and ended up in the ER after nearly fainting and having chest pains. I was sent home; however, the next evening I was back in the ER because my whole left side (face, arm, side, leg) was weak and cool to the touch and I was having difficulty walking (unfortunately, that ER doctor just handed me a Xanx prescription). It has been a month, and I am still weak on my left side. I have been in contact with my personal physician, but just wanted to know if it were possible for a neck injury (if that is what it is) could only to affect one side of the body?

Thank you!

Was a CT scan of your neck region and brain done? Are you a hypertensive or diabetic?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, I'm not hypertensive or diabetic. I also have not had a CT scan.
Thanks for responding. :)

Weakness of one side of the body could be due to a neck injury - leading to nerve impingement on one side of the body.

On the other hand - if all other tests are normal - it would help to get CT done to rule out any brain involvement as the cause of the weakness. It would also tell the exact severity of the neck injury and what needs to be done further.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Please click ACCEPT so that i get paid for my work. A bonus would be appreciated.

Regards.