Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

My Platelet count on (blood collectedSept 22,2009 and report

My Platelet count on (blood collectedSept 22,2009 and report printed on Sept 25,2009) was 46 (reference range 15-400)My doctor called me to show this report and said I might suggest you to go to the emergency but I rather refer you to Hematologist Consultation for which he said he is going to arrange an appointment, this was yesterday On Sept 29,2009 in the morning around 9am.
I came back home and red on the internet about Platelet and realise my count is really very low...than I decided myself to go to emergency instead of waiting for Consultant appointment...
I went to the emergency (Credit valley hospital in Mississauga, On,Canada)around 7.30 in the evening of Sept 29,2009 they did my test around 11.30pm and came with a result of Platelet count of 123 L.and Doctor on the duty said that you are fine....I am still waiting for my Consultant appointment....My question is this that how come it fluctuate so fast in a week time...is this normal, should I wait for my consultant appointment
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 5 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a couple of questions.

On or shortly before the blood draw at the doctor's office, were you sick? If so, what type of symptoms were you demonstrating?

Please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was very normal, no any special symptoms....in fact doctor called me to show my blood sugar results and he found problem with my platelet ,that is why he took my blood sample to get the results for my platelet .

thanks

Customer/p>

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

A low platelet count is called thrombocytopenia. Many different things cause thrombocytopenia. Low platelets are usually caused by an underproduction or destructive process. Underproduction is usually related to a bone marrow issue. Destruction is caused by many things, such as infection, autoimmune disorders, hemolytic disorders, etc. In addition, a large percentage of cases are idiopathic, meaning there is no known cause.

The life of a platelet is about 10 days. Whether it was a underproduction or destructive process, your body seems to be functioning normally again. Chances are you may never understand why this happened; however, if you do recall anything that changed in the 2 weeks prior to the low level, such as new medication or dose change, I would mention this do your provider. I suspect the hematologist will likely recommend more frequent platelet monitoring over the next few months, assuming that the rest of your blood work is normal.

In the future, if you ever notice symptoms of easy bleeding, such as gum bleeding or easy bruising, always report this, even if you consider it minor.

I hope this helps to explain. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner