Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

can enterococcus infection that has been treated can it re-appear

can enterococcus infection that has been treated can it re-appear or lay dormant?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best information, and I would be more than happy to provide information specific to the situation. Therefore, I have a few questions.

Where was the infection? Blood? Urine?

What type of treatment was received? Antibiotic? Dose? Duration?

Please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
infection post surgery of inguinal hernia & testicle removal 5 months ago
Was the infection in the incision or the blood? What antibiotic did you take and for how long? These really are important factors to consider.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

blood-surgery wound

zoysn for 8 days

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

At this point, I would suspect a couple different possibilities. First of all, there is the possibility that the Zosyn did not eradicate the infection initially. Rather than lying dormant the bacteria may have been reduced to a level that did not produce symptoms; however, this is less likely. If this were the case, the infection would have re-developed soon after treatment, as evident by signs or infection or an elevated white blood cell count. The second, and most likely, possibility is a re-infection. Enterococcus are naturally found on the skin and in feces. Also, some persons can be colonized with certain enterococcus. They can easily infect open areas in the skin, such as incisions and spread to the blood (bacteremia).

I hope this helps. I have tried to present this in a patient friendly way; however, if you need clarification or have any additional questions, please let me know.

Lisa