Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

I was diagnosed with Chlamydia over 2 weeks ago and was treated.

I was diagnosed with Chlamydia over 2 weeks ago and was treated. I had sex with someone very brief intercourse with a condom placed properly before the act. She then took the condom off of me and gave me a hand job with lotion. I immediately took a shower afterward and used a lot of antibacterial soap. I messed up big time and was cheating on my Gf...I feel horrible about it and figured it would do more harm than good to tell her I cheated since there is no way I would ever do something like that again.

Is it highly unlikely I got it from this girl? The alternative is that I got it from my girlfriend. I don't believe she would ever cheat on me.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in tonight.

At this point, you took the proper precautions to prevent a Chlamydia infection; however, this does not mean that it was impossible. There may have been a problem with the condom, or perhaps there was some secretions introduced into the urethra during the hand job. Also, this may have been contracted during other sexual contact, perhaps with your girlfriend. I do not know how long you have been with your current girlfriend, nor do I know your past history together; however, since you were protected during the encounter described, other sexual interactions should be considered. Regardless, at this point, both women should be told and tested. I realize that you cheated, and you do not want to tell your girlfriend; however, it is necessary, especially if you have had sex with your girlfriend within the last couple of weeks. Women and men can have Chlamydia without any obvious symptoms. It is so important to talk with both women, due to potential risks. If left untreated, STDs can develop into pelvic inflammatory disease and even infertility.

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Lisa