Dr.Dev
Dr.Dev, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCCS, Post Doctoral Fellowship in Cardiac Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine.
14105073

i have numbness on the top of my foot and up my shin on my

i have numbness on the top of my foot and up my shin on my right leg a night of sleep hasnt helped and it onset after having my girlfriend laying her head on my leg after a prolonged period of time. theres a spot thats either swollen or puffy on my foot on the right side close to my ankle. also if i lean back on my heel it wont support my weight my food just goes flat back to the ground everytime i try. ive tried moving it trying to get the circulation moving but nothing seems to work also while walking around i get a odd feeling in my shin. theres no pain at all at most just tingling or numbness and it doesnt look like theres any discoloration..
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Dev replied 4 years ago.
Hy.

There are two possibilities here that spring to my mind

The first is shin splints - significant inflammation of the fascia of the shin - no reason why you should have this.

The second is sciatic nerve compression , where the problem is actually in the bottom of the back, but is felt at certain parts of the leg depending on the branch affected.
sometimes odd sleeping postures cause this, and this goes off by itself after sometime.

However, i would suggest, you get a X Ray lumbar spine done , so that we can find out , if there are any particular lesions in the spine that is causing compressions.

Dr.Dev

MD FCCS

Critical Care physician

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
but i dont see how this has anything to do with my back. this all started up the day before after having my girlfriend who is a bit heavy set having been laying on my leg for awhile after we had gotten up i noticed that my foot was almost entirly limp it could support weight but every step i took i was limping in order to get my foot the next step its better now its not limp but it still not supporting weight the way it should as i said with my heel if i lean back on it, it wont hold my foot up also i keep hearing a clicking from my shin if i move it a certain way. hopefully this information will give a bit more guidance as to what may be causing the trouble
Expert:  Dr.Dev replied 4 years ago.
The sciatic nerve courses down the back and round the buttocks, it ultimately supplies nerve branches to the foot and shin .
Any prolonged compression, anywhere along the course of this nerve could cause symptoms like this.

I wanted you to get an X Ray spine done, because it would help rule out "other' compressive possibilities, apart from the fact that your heavy set gf was the compressive force. and
It is not mandatory to think in this line.. , you might l improve in a day or two.

If things do not improve , I would think of the spine .

Dr.Dev

MD FCCS

Critical Care physician

Dr.Dev, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, FCCS, Post Doctoral Fellowship in Cardiac Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine.