Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

i have had a swollen lymph node under my rib cage on the right

Customer Question

i have had a swollen lymph node under my rib cage on the right and left side since febuary i have seen my gp a number off times but nothing has been done i have been getting alot off pain in my dtomach and it feels lumpy i have gone up 3 dress sizes in a couple off months but dont understand why as i can barley eat i feel bloated ind find it hard to swallow now i have started getting pain in my lower right side off my back and my legs feel sore and swollen sometimes get pains in my chest can you please help me to find out what is wrong with me thankyou
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Who diagnosed this as lymph node?

Have you had any scans?

What is your height and weight?

What is your clothes size, is this US or UK measurement?

Have you had any tests?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my gp said it was a swollen lymph node i have had 2 blood test for a thyroid and lymphnoda im 5ft2 and weigh about 12 stone im a size 16 uk size was size 12 4 months ago no scans
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

At your height then weight increase will have a significant effect on how you feel. Increased abdominal weight often makes people feel tired and causes shortness of breath.

The first thing is to keep a detailed diet record for the next two weeks. If you are managing to keep your calories at 1200 daily and you can fit in some exercise every day then you should start to see a weight loss of about 2 pounds per week. If you are eating less than this, and continue to put weight on then that would require additional tests

If you have been sexually active then it is worth doing a pregnancy test too.

At your age, serious causes of ankle swelling are rare but you should ask your doctor to check your kidney function and if you have developed purple stretch marks then perhaps also consider a cortisol test too.