Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

I think my husband had a small stroke sat. night. We have

I think my husband had a small stroke sat. night. We have no insurance so he wont go to the hospital. His right arm is swelling. Does that have anything to do with a stroke?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
What are his symptoms, besides the right arm swelling?

Why do you think he had a stroke?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He said in the night he tried to turn over and his arm was limp. He thought he slept on it wrong. When he got up he was a little dizzy not bad. The strength in his arm was slowly fading. He went to work today and when he came home his hand was swollen. Doesnt seem to be any other problems. He takes an adult aspirin every day. No sugar or smoking. Not over weight.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Is he still having weakness in that arm, or did it come back fairly quickly during that night?

Is it only his hand that is swollen, or is it the entire arm?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is still weak and not much control of it. The hand is swelled and if the arm is its only slight.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Well, the swelling of the hand is not related to a possible stroke, as a stroke would not necessarily cause swelling in an extremity.

But the fact that he is still weak and has minimal control could be the sign of a stroke, and given that he seems to have another issue as well (the hand swelling) it certainly would be best to have a doctor examine him because certainly a potential stroke is a serious and worrisome condition that should be evaluated by a doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if he puts this off for a few days. What could happen. If he were to go to a Dr. what kind of a Dr.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Well, there's no way to know what could happen if he puts this off for a few days. Perhaps nothing.

If this was a stroke -- the damage would have already occurred.

But if he were having worsening of symptoms -- that could mean another stroke is occurring, or worsening. And without even knowing if this was a stroke, or some other condition, it's just impossible to know what could happen.

The first doctor to go to would probably be a regular doctor, because a simple exam can help to determine if a stroke is a possibilty. If it is, then further testing and evaluation by a neurologist would be helpful.