A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

What is acromioclavicular joint hypertrophic changes not

What is?
acromioclavicular joint hypertrophic changes not seen, including small inferiorly directed spur formation and capsular hypertrophy. A trace amount of edema is present in the subacomial-subdeltoid bursa.

My should is really hurting and I just got these mri results back and have scheduled an appointment with an orthopedist.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The MRI shows basically that not much was found. There were no hypertrophic changes (increased bone growth) in the AC joint (the joint that connects the clavicle/collar bone in the front to the acromion which is part of the scapula (shoulder blade) in the back. There were no bone spurs and no increase in size of the shoulder capsule. There was some trace amount of swelling in the subacomial-subdeltoid bursa. Bursas are fluid filled sacs in the joints to help cushion them. This finding would be consistent with a mild bursitis.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When will it go away and what more can I do to speed my recovery?

If it's bursitis, the orthopedist will probably suggest a corticosteroid injection in your shoulder to relieve inflammation, and non-steroidal inflammatory oral medication (prescription or non-prescription) for 10 days or so. Sometimes they will also send you for physical therapy. Hot compresses and pain medication when it is terribly painful and gentle movement to make sure you don't lose range of motion and develop adhesive capsulitis ("frozen shoulder") are usually helpful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help.

You're so very welcome. Good luck with your doc's appointment.