Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I have had a low grade fever of 99.1 to 99.5 for 8 days. My

I have had a low grade fever of 99.1 to 99.5 for 8 days. My kids both had a flu (swine probably) but there temperature was very high..

I dont' have a soar throat or cough, just headaches fever and very tired.

Any ideas? Does this soudn like the flu to you? or a randmo virus?   I've been flying a lot and maybe picked something up taht way?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.
Traveling exposes people to many different viruses and normally the body adapts to fight them. The first thing to establish is whether the temperature comes down with tylenol or ibuprofen. Have you been taking anything?
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've not taken anything because I'm dying get back to work and I've been told I have to have 24 hours without a fever to go back to work (contagious reasons).

My fever is normally just at night or late afternoon. I don't have any right now, but still feel awful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can yo answer my last requerst here?
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I was off line earlier, does your employer stipulate that the fever-free period must be without use of antipyretics?

What is your job?

Have you been assessed for any other possible causes of your fever such as urinary tract or ear infection?

You do need to ensure that you are adequately hydrated, as dehydration secondary to fever is a common cause of headache.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi

It's not an employer rule, just the dr. said 24 hours and CDC says 24 hours without fever.

I'm a sales manager and travel by plane most weeks.

What is an antipyretic? I've not been assessed for any ohter possible causes for fever.

What's odd is I dont' have a cough, or soar throat.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Antipyretic is any drug that reduces temperature in fever so that includes tylenol, ibuprofen and aspirin.

I would suggest that you have 24 hours with plenty of fever, rest and appropriate doses of tylenol or ibuprofen then reassess your fever.

At the moment we do not know how the fever will respond, I would expect most self limiting illnesses to respond quickly to the medication and you should be ready to return to work in 48 hours. If the fever is not controlled by medication, or returns to a high level after stopping the medication then you should see a doctor for a respiratory examination, ear and throat examination and urine analysis. I would also suggest blood tests to see if white cells are elevated as that would confirm underlying infection.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so last questions:

Will having tylenol help me get beter? or just lower the fever?

If I am still sick but the tylenol is brining down my fever, then am I less contagious?

Thanks
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

As we do not know what is causing the fever, then we do not know if you are contagious at all. If your fever was due to urinary tract infection (for example) then we would not expect this to be a risk to other people.

The tylenol will control the fever, regardless of the cause.

Bear in mind that normal body temperature includes a rise over the day and that the method of temperature measurement an affect the relevance of the temperature. For example, rectal measurement is different to armpit. Digital thermometers are more accurate than strips.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)